Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris starting issue

Hello, I have a 2007 Polaris Predator 500 that is having a starting issue.

I was out riding it recently and it rode strong without issues all day. Put it up for the night and try to start it the next morning. It tries to turnover but just cranks and cranks. Now, if I give it a lot of gas, and I mean a lot... it will backfire a few times and chug, but it will eventually start after about 10-20 minutes. After it starts and warms up, it rides great. I can turn it off and turn it back on and it fires right up. However, if you let it cool down... it's another 20 minute starting process.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? Been thinking of getting some Sea Foam to see if that helps.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

A little seafoam wouldn't hurt. Love the stuff! Sounds more like your in need of a valve adjustment by what you describe. I'd also check your fuel filter and do a thorough carb cleaning to cover all the bases.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

Yea, probably pick up some Sea Foam and try it...cheapest starting point.

I tried to roll start it, but that doesn't work... would that rule out a valve problem?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

no rolling will not rule out the valve problem. i would start with adjusting the valves. i would say there is a 99.9% chance that this is your problem.. intake 0.006 exhaust 0.010 let us know how it goes

Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure if adjusting the valves is something I can tackel. Might have to take it in. (sigh)

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM

If you have any mechanical skills, adjusting the valve should be easy for ya. If in doubt go to the dealer, but I prefer to keep my hard earned $$$ Not sure how extensive it is to work on a predator but I can't imagine it being any harder than a sportsman 500 which takes less than a hour and a couple beers.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by readymixer169
If you have any mechanical skills, adjusting the valve should be easy for ya. If in doubt go to the dealer, but I prefer to keep my hard earned $$$ Not sure how extensive it is to work on a predator but I can't imagine it being any harder than a sportsman 500 which takes less than a hour and a couple beers.
your a little off there, sportsmans have the adjusters on top of the rocker and the pred has shim under bucket plus it has 2 cams not one. take it to the pro's. shim under bucket is harder to do and do it right

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Kid
your a little off there, sportsmans have the adjusters on top of the rocker and the pred has shim under bucket plus it has 2 cams not one. take it to the pro's. shim under bucket is harder to do and do it right
Thanks for correcting me on that. I wasn't aware that the 500's on the predators were set up differently. Are they the Fuji's or the KTM's? Shows how much I know about the sport quads.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

they are completely different, not bashing on you just didnt want the guy to get in over his head.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Kid
they are completely different, not bashing on you just didnt want the guy to get in over his head.
No offense taken. Even I can be wrong once in a while. Just ask my wife. LOL

Quick Reply: Polaris starting issue