Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

chain noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain noise

i have a 2stroke ppolaris400 and i heard a loud snapping noise wen i try to gun it or whenever it is being workd hard so i tightend the chain cuz it was loose and it fixed it but then later on did it agian and is gettin worse and worse i have a feeling maybe the sprocket might be broken im not sure though any help would be appreciated

Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check the chain and sprokets from being worn out. also if your riding in mud they will make weird noises from griding rocks and what not. imo

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea i have a feeling it is the sprocket for some reason it looks a bit warn out i tightend my chain and went for a ride today and it seems to make that grinding sound mostly if im needing torque like pushing through bush or goin up a steep hill with not much speed is it a hard job to replace the sprocket? and is it a easy part to order do you think .

thnx

Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dave ghard
yea i have a feeling it is the sprocket for some reason it looks a bit warn out i tightend my chain and went for a ride today and it seems to make that grinding sound mostly if im needing torque like pushing through bush or goin up a steep hill with not much speed is it a hard job to replace the sprocket? and is it a easy part to order do you think .

thnx
It's pretty easy to replace...jack up the rear. Pull the right rear wheel off. Pull the hub. take the castle nuts off and slide the sprocket assembly off. Replace and reassemble. The job shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. As long as your at it, replace the front sprocket and chain. The sprocket(s) and chain(s) are readily available...bike bandit, cheap cycle parts, Ebay...etc.

Wenty

Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

I would replace both sprockets and chain,Ill bet the front one is missing teeth, if you run them too long I've seen the chain break and knock a hole in case of tranny.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

You'll be surprised how easy it is to change out both sprockets and chain. Sledpartsguy on ebay was where I got my set up. Standard sprockets and gold o-ring chain. You can upgrade on the chain if you like, but it will make the price go up too.

One thing I'd invest in is a chain breaker. Should be able to get one for about 20-25 bucks. You can get the chain the right length using a bench method, but it sure is a nice thing to have in the tool box when you're chain breaks on a weekend camp out. Toss the extra chain in there too. Broke a chain on a Saturday afternoon, after the shops had closed. Just happened to be with someone who did that and it saved the rest of my weekend.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

also my buddy has an older kawisaki and it runs perfect right off the start but if u keep rideing it for like 20 mins it dies almosy like its over heating? is there a cooling system i did look like it had a rad