Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler will not idle

I have a 2000 Scramber 400 2X4. It will not idle and when I get on the throttle it will not accellerate for a couple seconds. It seems like it has to 'spool' up before it will go.

I have taken the carb off and sprayed it out and cleaned it best I could. It seemed to run a little better after I did that, but within minutes it was back to the same 'flat' spot when excellerating.

When it does go, it seems to run very good when it takes off. It will catch you off gaurd if you are not expecting it. There is just that boggy spot off idle and the lack of idle.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Did you have the clutch apart? I forgot to wind mine up and it had no power.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

I have not had it apart. I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. How difficult would that be to do? Just curious, why would the clutch make it act this way?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the carb off and clean the pilot jet out(all the side holes and the main center hole)Clean the main jet too

Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

I will give the carb cleaning a try again.

I was thinking that because of the idling problem that all of my problems were carb related. But I have been looking, based in Islubecki's response, at the clutch buttons as a possible cause of the 'bogging'. It definately makes a lot of rattling noise at idle.

Is the bogging until I get moving the clutch buttons and if so, is it the primary or secondary? How much are the buttons and how hard are they to replace on my own?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Secondary buttons wont cause an idle problem just a bog and lose of power

Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2000 polaris scrambler 400 2x4

while you have your carb off pull your reed valves and check your piston skirt to see if its broken.I would all so check your compression if your carb is clean.I have one in the garage right now that acted like yours the owner cleaned the carb twice that didnt help at all.The piston skirt was broken off and it has a crack in the crank case.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

check your air/fuel screw as well, and your throttle freeplay if its real loose it cuts ignition, its a safety swith 1/8 inch of freeplay is spec

Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ftwflh
Take the carb off and clean the pilot jet out(all the side holes and the main center hole)Clean the main jet too
X2
Also Use a Single stand of wire to push through the jet

Def. sounds like a dirty carb.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by ramman67
while you have your carb off pull your reed valves and check your piston skirt to see if its broken.I would all so check your compression if your carb is clean.I have one in the garage right now that acted like yours the owner cleaned the carb twice that didnt help at all.The piston skirt was broken off and it has a crack in the crank case.
I have an engine drop me a PM

Quick Reply: Scrambler will not idle