Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman advice needed ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman advice needed ASAP!

OK...bear with me. I am fairly new to the ATV world and now have a question on Sportsman 400's. I bought a 2004 Sportsman 400 about a month ago. Came with plow, winch, brush guards, hand guards, hand/thumb warmers, rack extensions, a trailerable cover, a tank bag and some sort of bag for the rear rack too. Problem...the speedo didn't work when I bought it. I took it to my mechanic and found out that the 4x4 had already been bypassed and it works fine. He said it would be between 300 and 500 to get it fixed because the speedo part was expensive and there were some wires "missing". I know this machine has also recently been serviced for the winch switch. Even though all works fine, it bugs the heck out of me that the speedo doesn't work, so I put the machine up for sale. I have someone that will buy it for what I paid, but doesn't want the plow, so I keep that. The Odometer is stuck at just over 1200 miles and I really don't know for sure how long it hasn't worked.

I have found a 2004.5 Sportsman 400 for the same price as I can get selling mine. It has upgraded tires, rack extensions, brush guards (nicer than the ones I have), hand/thumb warmers, and a winch. It has 428 miles and has been described in very good condition. Sounds like it was used at a cabin in WI on soft sand trails. The speedo works and he says he's never had a problem with the ECM. He said it's been absolutely babied...and I'd already have a plow (assuming the mounting plate would be the same between the 04 and 04.5 models).

SO...the question is....do I keep the 04 with the speedo that doesn't work, where I know everything works well OR do I sell it and get the 04.5 where the speedo works and there are a lot less miles? Let's assume the condition of the 04.5 is as good if not better than the 04.....I am going to go and take a look at the 04.5 this evening, so any quick advice would be appreciated! The ECM issue that I've read alot about kind of scares me on the 04.5 and I've heard that the water pump? was then switched to plastic and sometimes it would leak as well.....please help! Thanks in advance! You guys are the best!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

I'm liking the 2004.5 and it only having 428 miles the thing should look and run like new . As for the ECM I would hope he's never had a problem with it in that few of miles dam I've done more miles than that in one week . That 2004.5 tho should of had all it's fluids changed yearly like 7 or 8 times thats 7 or 8 oil changes , front diff changes , rear and tranny changes .

Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would take a look at the newer one also. What does it hurt to look and see if it is in that much better shape?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you going to have to buy a new plow mount plate, or remove the one on the 04 you are selling?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think the mounting plate for the plow should fit shouldn't it? I don't think they changed anything on the body of the machine.

The other option I have is a 2009 Sportsman 400 with 31 miles for the same price, but it doesn't have any of the extras and the plow I have will not fit besides it has no winch and I don't really want to spend anymore to get it to do the stuff I want it to.... Plus, the whole deal on that one feels a little hinky...like something isn't quite right.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:44 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The day my speedo quits ,I will be doing the bypass as well, $350 for a new speedo LOL I dont look at it anyways most of the time as it is because its so scratch and fogged up.
Why is a speedo important to you?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
The day my speedo quits ,I will be doing the bypass as well, $350 for a new speedo LOL I dont look at it anyways most of the time as it is.

Not me I'd fix it the next day . I like everything on my bike working 100 percent it would drive me nuts if it was not .

Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I,d just call the ATV a Magnum instead of a Sportsman,they did not even have a speedo to worry about.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

AND...the result? We went to look at the 2004.5. It did not come home with us. The rack extensions were almost all rusted around the bottoms, the winch button was off at some goofy angle and all rusty, the underside had a ton of rust too! The engine was giving off heat when we got there (always a bad sign in my book) and I couldn't get it to start...the guy selling it couldn't keep it running even after taking it around the block...had a full tank of gas that was over a year old...which tells me he probably wasn't real concerned with changing the other fluids on time....I think I'll just look into having my speedo replaced...or not....but my machine runs great and is in great shape, so I think I'll just hang onto it! Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Spdecat
Not me I'd fix it the next day . I like everything on my bike working 100 percent it would drive me nuts if it was not .
id agree with this. evin tho i could spend the money elsewhere i like things to work right. not half ***.......

Quick Reply: Sportsman advice needed ASAP!