Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help 1986 trailboss 250

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 1986 trailboss 250

Hey guys... Wondering if i can get some input... I bought a 86 250 trailboss and i cant get it to start..... I think its something to do with the carb... I can pull and pull and it wont start, seems to have good compression but wont turn over.... If i take off the air box..and put a bit of gasoline into the carb, it will pull over second pull... i had it idling..and i even drove it around the yard a bit.. but it seemed to idle high.... I tried to get the carb totally off.. but i couldnt get the lines disconnected properly.. so with the help of a mechanic.. we took a look at the carb... and it looks like you could eat off it... i was told it was rebuilt shortly before i got the machine.. but it didnt help the starting issue....

Any suggestions on where to look..

Also i have another same year trail boss.. and it has a black button on the left handle.. reverse rev limiter.... the one that doesnt start doesnt seem to have this switch.... is this maybe part of my problem??

Cheers

Old 07-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a compression check.Needs to be at least 100psi.Take the pipe off and drain any gas or water out of it.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried draining the gas... it was pretty much empty because a fuel line before the shut off valve was broken and it leaked out...i filled the tank up with 94 sunoco gasoline... and pulled again... no luck.... The guys at the shop said it seemed to have good compression when they pulled it... but i havent done an actual compression test yet... Im suppose to be going into the shop next week hopefully to do some more work...

Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

take the exhaust pipe off and drain the gas and water out of it and it should run

Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

if the carb is good and no fuel or anything in the exhaust, and compression is over 100psi.
Lets just for giggles say compression was 140psi the motor still wont suck gas out of the carb if a crank seal was gone, by putting gas directly into the carb throat it will reach the combustion chamber and start the motor at that point the motor will turn fast enough to be able to suck gas out of the carb while at the same time sucking air from a crank seal.
Once idling you say its high, id be willing to guess its running lean (to much air) if it was me I`d do a plug chop and see what that tells you, I have had the same thing happen to me on my trail boss 250 and it was the crank seal PTO side. Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Quad Patrol

Ditto on the crank seals now you eliminated the easy stuff