Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why not leave a Polaris in AWD all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why not leave a Polaris in AWD all the time?

I was thinking since a Polaris is really in 2wd while in AWD mode until the rear wheels do a slip, why not just leave the ATV in AWD all the time? Only people who like power sliding around turns could tell its not in 2wd I'd think.

Just let the the ATV find out on its own if it needs AWD or not.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Wouldn't turning a corner kick in the AWD all the time? I would think it can only go in and out so many times before it breaks or wears out. JMO. But you could do it.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by 02magnum500
Wouldn't turning a corner kick in the AWD all the time? I would think it can only go in and out so many times before it breaks or wears out. JMO. But you could do it.
No the rear wheels need to loose traction for a 1/8 of a turn (I think) (Spin faster than the fronts are turning) for AWD to kick in. Has nothing to due with turning!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

I've read on this form that over time your front diff will become magnetized the more its used or left on . This magnetization over time will lead to problems , its just what I read don't know if theres any truth to it or not .

Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

I know for me there are a lot of time when I am doing some faster runs that I want to have the rear end slide when going thru turns.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
I was thinking since a Polaris is really in 2wd while in AWD mode until the rear wheels do a slip, why not just leave the ATV in AWD all the time? Only people who like power sliding around turns could tell its not in 2wd I'd think.

Just let the the ATV find out on its own if it needs AWD or not.
I would think it would wear out the armature plate(or plates depending on year) quicker. With it in 4wd all the time the magnet is energized and causing drag on the armature plate to the coil face, In 2 wd it still probably makes contact but not with magnetic force pulling in on it.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Try a day rounding up sheep or cattle on a four wheel drive quad and you'll appreciate the difference.

JF

Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
No the rear wheels need to loose traction for a 1/8 of a turn (I think) (Spin faster than the fronts are turning) for AWD to kick in. Has nothing to due with turning!
oh yes it does when turning the front wheels travel more than the rear so yes it would kick in to 4x4

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by The Kid
oh yes it does when turning the front wheels travel more than the rear so yes it would kick in to 4x4
No. When you make a turn the rear wheels actually travel a shorter distance because they track to the inside thus making them turn slower. The rear wheels have to make more revolutions than the front to lock up the front and that don't happen in a turn unless your power sliding.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

in awd, if u jump and keep ur hand in the throttle, the back wheels pick up speed very fast. As much as 80+ if u keep ur hand in it off the ground. If the awd drive is on then the front wheels will slam into engagement and when you hit the ground it puts lots of stress on parts. That is what causes propshafts to warp. It then causes vibrations and can cause unwanted engagements. Very bad on the old wheel hub style awd design. One wheel lock up would cause you to loose control. Bad day when running fast down a hwy with traffic.. I know

Quick Reply: Why not leave a Polaris in AWD all the time?