Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New way to mount fuel packs on XP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New way to mount fuel packs on XP

After receiving my fuel packs the dilemma came where to mount them? At first I was thinking on the front. I wanted to mount them so they would not block the headlight since I drive quite a bit at night.

The design of the optional Polaris box made it hard since there are no straight lines and I would have to eye it. Being the perfectionist I am, if I did it wrong and they were not perfect it would drive me crazy. Here were the 2 options I had. I looked and looked and after about a hour I said to my self, sleep on it.

Next morning I woke up with a idea. How about mounting them inside the box. This was they would not block the headlight and would be out of the way. I just did not like the look of packs on top of my front box.

After about a hour of trying different ways the packs would just not fit. The only way to do it would be to modify the box. I took of the lock and ride mounts first. That helped with the fitting of the box, however they were still too high on the one side. I then pulled out my clippers and started to cut the plastic piece that protects the lock & ride mount. When I was done it was almost perfect. I then saw that 2 of the many screws that hold the top metal rim were touching the box. Next I removed them. Bingo it fit! I was able to close the box. Everything fit snugger than OJ's glove!

My next project was to get the fuel pack mounts to fit. This did not work. There was just no room for them. The only way to get them to work would be to cut the one side off with a grinder. I just did not want to mess with that for now. I then found 2 straps and screwed them into the bottom of the box, trimming the screw at the bottom so they would not touch and damage the front fender under the box. Tested them and all was perfect.

I then found 2 bolt & nuts to replace the original lock and ride mounts and I was all done. Everything put pack together and the packs fit like a glove. I still have storage in the middle of the box for things. I really like this stealth setup with the security of being able to go a extra 40 miles if I run out of fuel.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fuel packs

That looks great goes to show put some time and extra thought into it sometimes it work's out better than you hoped Im thinking about adding some extra fuel storage I am thinking of using your setup Thanks for the Idea

Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Looks pretty good! One thing to look out for is the lid clearance. Those fuel packs swell up pretty good when it gets warm. It would be great if the manufacturers hooked up with a co. like rotopax and found a way to integrate then into the wheeler design. One can never have enough extra fuel on board IMO.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post! I'm subscribing to this one in the event I ever need fuel packs. Good write up, and thanks for sharing with the group

Cheers,
JG

Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Great job with that modification to make it work for your needs. Looks awesome and I am very similar in the sense of "perfectionist". Way to go!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Regarding the swelling. I have the 2nd generation 1 gallon packs. These new packs are much thicker & it seams the plastic is different vs the older systems. I filled fuel in one of them and left it outside in the sunlight. That day it was 90 in the shade. The swelling was minimal and did not affect the size of the pack vs my older Rotopax 4 gallon tank.

I also left the quad outside in the sun with the packs installed for several hours. First with the lid open and then closed. Again I did not notice enough swelling for them not to fit. Today is going to be 95 and sunny. I am going to keep the quad out all day and see how it goes. Will keep you all updated if this changes.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

That's good news. Might have to look into them. I bought the dual 2 gallon not too long ago and they swell up pretty good in the heat. Never had any leaking issues but sounds wish they were thicker. Might have to give Jason a call at Rotopax if my 800 sells. I'm selling them with it since the mounts are already on the front box so I'll need new ones when I pick up a RZR.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor

They sat all day in 95+ degree weather in the sun and the swelling was minimal. No issues with the box staying closed. Any one need info on how its done and whats needed shot me a pm or just look online where I got them.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:34 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Holy Crap Thor the XP has a 5.25 gal tank ,it must go 100 miles on a tank, what kind of riding do you do? LOL

Old 07-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor

My last ride I did 650 miles over the weekend. :-0

Quick Reply: New way to mount fuel packs on XP