Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

engine squeal when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine squeal when in gear

I have a 99 sportsman 500 that got swamped. engine was run with water in it. I drained oil and changed filter. It starts and runs fine until I put it in gear then a loud squeal starts. It stops when I take it out of gear. The sound is heard clearly coming from the tube attached to the aft part of the motor case. I also noticed that the alternator has been effected from the swamping. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

It is probably your belt squealing. If the clutch case was full of water you should clean and inspect your clutches. A lot of times when your clutches get wet all the dirt and dust buildup gets moved around and will cause the clutch to get sticky. In most case you can blow it out with air, clean with brake cleaner and it will work better. Also if you were still driving or trying to drive when everthing was wet you might have damaged the belt. Inspect that when you are cleaning clutches, may need to replace it.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto. Definitely sounds like your belt.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I will look those areas over well. Regards

Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the belt and blew out all around the clutch. No help. Still squeals when put it in drive. It will stop after a few seconds in neutral. Could it be a bearing on the output shaft from the motor to the fwd clutch? If so is that a big deal to change?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Does the machine want too creep ahead when you put it in gear.Like chad mentioned sounds like clutch issues.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Did you change your front diff gear oil and tranny chain case oil after drowning it? Both have vent tubes water will enter at a certain depth.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

It doesn't seem to creep ahead but it does feel clutch related, I just don't know how so. I feel like I need to lubricate something associated with the clutch. I used air to blow out the clutch area. Is there some clutch lubrication I could do?

No, I did not replace the front or rear gear box oils. Not sure it is related but if water can get in then I guess it would be a good idea to replace it.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Like TLC mentioned change all fluids,filters I'm not sure on the one way bearings if they take lube of any kind I would think not because any lube would get on belt. Did you happen to take off belt then run machine does it still make noise. You said that its a new belt is it the right one(polaris belt) if belt is to short it will squeal.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

With belt off it does not make the noise. Belt is correct per the dealer. It almost seems like it is the one way bearing. When the belt is on it squeals now even in idle. If I give it a small amount of gas it stops.

Quick Reply: engine squeal when in gear