Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 polaris sportsman battery not staying charged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 polaris sportsman battery not staying charged?

i own a 2008 polaris sportsman 800 x2. Starting just last night the battery light started coming on going down the trail. now i can not keep the battery charged i have charged the battery fully on a charger then install it back run a few hours just around the yard and the battery goes dead again. does anyone know of what could be causing this problem?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Most likely the rectifier. You should be able to trace it from the CDI unit. I know on older models its located on the left hand side of the front of the radiator

Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check that battery connections/grounds are good. Does it sit for long periods between rides? Wouldn't hurt to take it to someplace that can test it. May be that the battery has a dead cell so it will take a charge but not hold it long. If that ends up being the case pick up a trickle charger and keep it on when not in use. Just picked one up for $3.99 with a coupon from Harbor Freight(currently have two but will get a few more for all my machines). Greatly extends battery life. If it's not the battery/connection then I agree with boba on checking the rectifier and continuing from there if the problem isn't found.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Also with a volt meter check the charging system at battery,if it reads 13 - 14.6V at 4000rpm then you may need a new battery.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your reply's i run my atv every weekend and usually dailey depending on what i feel like driving to work. so it harldy sits a long time. i ordered a new regulator today could it possible be anything else while i have it taken apart?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure to check the easy stuff(connections/output/battery) before ordering more parts. I'm sure they aren't cheap. I forgot to ask what your running for accessories. If using your lights/winch/etc keeping a trickle charger on will help if it's a battery issue. The charging system won't keep it at 100% especially if using lights/winch. Hopefully it's something simple(and inexpensive).

Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

thank you i check those and even replaced the battery with a newer one and within a hour or two of running it would die also. It has a winch but since owning it i have only used it twice and that was a long time ago. i do run the lights on it everytime we go out but its a must since we ride at night. i found a regulator for 70.00 so it was not to much out of my budget and it had a warranty so if it doesnt fix the problem i can send it back. i had a problem awhile back with it skipping going down the trail could the battery not getting a full charge be the problem with that?

Old 10-24-2019, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by tacranford
thank you i check those and even replaced the battery with a newer one and within a hour or two of running it would die also. It has a winch but since owning it i have only used it twice and that was a long time ago. i do run the lights on it everytime we go out but its a must since we ride at night. i found a regulator for 70.00 so it was not to much out of my budget and it had a warranty so if it doesnt fix the problem i can send it back. i had a problem awhile back with it skipping going down the trail could the battery not getting a full charge be the problem with that?

Did that fix your problem? I have a Polaris Hawkeye 07 I just got and im having the same issues.