Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

05 polaris sportsman 500 ecm issue???

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 polaris sportsman 500 ecm issue???

hey guys I have a 05 polaris sportsman 500. I was driving it today and the dash went off and bike died. I turned the key off then on and the instrument cluster lite up and went out. i turned key off and on and it stayed on and started drove another few minuites and it died again. turned key off and on again and cluster went on and off right away several times if i turned the key to start it nothing happened either. Trailered the bike home and when i tried it again it worked and started. about 10 seconds later it dies again and this time the instrument cluster is not lighting at all for the couple seconds it did earlier while turning the key to on position but the lights still work in the on position even though the instrument cluster is dead, the wench is dead too. if i turn key to start the bike it does nothing as well. With lights on and cluster off of course i turned the run switch to off and lights went out if that helps at all. im thinking ecm but what do i know lol....helllpppp

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no expert but it sounds like the ECM to me. It was one of the years covered by the recall.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Like jumbofrank said,probably the ecm as it has the regulator and all circuit breakers in one box.Erratic electrical operation was one of the symptoms along with batteries not charging. Check all connections,have the battery load tested to eliminate it as a problem also.If by chance still have the original ecm(some out there still do) a dealer can replace it free of charge under the recall.Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov If it's already been changed to the silver Sure Power module,they can fail also.Here's one of the cheapest ones I've found. $90 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Sportsman-SurePower-ECM-sure-power-module-2005-2006-600-700-4011044-/301644105131?hash=item463b63c5ab&vxp=mtr

Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Trailblazer

ok thx will take ecm out and check serial number it is all black so it looks original. Maybe i should of taken it to the dealer instead of taking it apart lol but its more fun to take it apart lol. keep you posted.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by whitty
ok thx will take ecm out and check serial number it is all black so it looks original. Maybe i should of taken it to the dealer instead of taking it apart lol but its more fun to take it apart lol. keep you posted.
If it's BLACK it's Chinese! Call a local dealer with your vin number on your atv and arrange to have this one replaced at no cost to you! The recall doesn't have a time limit on safety issues like this. The bulletin we got on this recommends disconnecting the battery in case it over heats and possibly burns up the wiring or worse. Still surprising to find the original ecms 10 years after the first recall. Some never had them done,some sold them to other people that weren't aware of the problem.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

ok will do thx guys will update soon.....

Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here's the recall list. ATV: Polaris Ind. expands recall of ATVs no time limit on it.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Update update.......bikes been in the shop for 3 weeks. They replaced the ecm after week wait ordering it from polaris bike still dead they said it was keyswitch waited 5 days and it wasn't that. They went through wiring harness and grounds voltages all good. Said they can start bike by jumping out pins on connectors which ones I don't know. They called polaris they said ecm they sent might be bad. The dealer said he will call polaris and see if they will authorize another ecm why he didn't ask when he had them on the phone is beyond me. Cant dealer tell if its ecm by metering connectors on the ecm. Maybe this dealer is not qualified. So any thoughts on how this is panning out lol cause im missing my season of riding. Are they missing something.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes a new ecm can be faulty. Not unusual for machines to have had several ecm replacements. I've done several at the shop,but haven't had one bad straight out of the box though.The service manual doesn't give too much info on checking one out,just it's functions,but basic power in and out can be checked. What can happen also is problems with the wiring harness or connectors caused by the original Chinese ecm. They can get so hot that wiring fires have happened and machines have burnt down to the ground,the main reason for the recall in the first place.The original bulletins to the dealers and customers said to immediately disconnect the battery to keep this from happening..Internal wiring shorts would have to be traced wire by wire,or as most dealers would do on a suspected harness problem would be to replace it as the labor on this would be more than the harness itself. Plus I would think that they've load tested the battery which would have been one of the first things I would have checked also.Hopefully another ecm solves the problem and you can get back to riding.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

EDIT: Never mind my question below. Just noted the model year in the post, so has to be carb.

Is this on the EFI or carb'd machines? The photo you posted (OPT) looks similar to the PDM on my EFI, but different in that it only has the one connector where my PDM has two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 polaris sportsman 500 ecm issue???