Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 600-twin, electrical fire and crap ignition!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 600-twin, electrical fire and crap ignition!

I was out riding my 2004 Sportsman 600-twin at the park today, rode around just fine for about 30 minutes. I went to drive up a big dirt pile and about halfway up, the ATV just shut off immediately and there was a large cloud of smoke that came out of the headlight pod. I popped the cover off the headlight pod to find that a wire that comes out of the ignition wiring harness and into the actual ignition switch looks like it shorted out, heated up, burned the wire covering and burned the actual wire in half so it disconnected. If you're standing at the front of the ATV looking back, looking down into the headlight pod to the plug that plugs into the ignition switch, it's the bottom left corner wire. I think it also heated up the ignition switch enough to damage it, because the key turns freely now with no "spring" back when you turn the key all the way on.

Anybody have any thoughts on what may have went wrong? When I get some time I'm going to start tracing that wire to see where it goes and if it shorted out or something. I really don't want to since I'm gonna have to remove the loom in all those tight spaces, but oh well.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If it was a 2004.5 I would of said the ECM fire hazzard recall. Polaris Industries Expanded Recall of Select Model Year 2004.5 and 2005 ATVs

Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
If it was a 2004.5 I would of said the ECM fire hazzard recall. Polaris Industries Expanded Recall of Select Model Year 2004.5 and 2005 ATVs

According to that, the only 600-twins that were affected were 2005. Too bad that wasn't it though, would have been easier to get my problem fixed!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's an update with pictures. If you guys could take a look and tell me what you think may have been the issue, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here's the plug that goes directly into the back of the keyed ignition switch. You can see the burned wire sticking out.

The burned wire goes from the ignition switch down to this plug, which is right near the radiator cap. The plug doesn't plug into anything, it just dead-ends and there's a bunch of wires that go into it. The wire is only burned between the ignition switch and this plug.

There are 2 wires that connect together inside the plug above. The wire that connects to the burned one goes from this switch, through another harness back into the headlight pod, and connects to this AMP-n-MATE plug. This wasn't plugged into anything, nor do I see anything to plug it into. Maybe the factory winch control harness?

Here's a few pictures of the inside of the ignition switch after it melted/burned

Here's another picture of the plug that goes directly into the back of the ignition switch. You can see how it is melted in some spots.

Anyway, I couldn't find any shorts anywhere, or spots where the burned wire may have been shorted out. Do you think that a bad ignition switch could have caused this? Any other ideas after looking at the pictures?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that may be had to trace out.........Can you tell where the heat started?
Is there one area that has more damage than others.......I can tell you that if a connection is loose or dirty.....The heat build-up can be alot!!
The wire that burnt looks to me there was way TOO MUCH current going throught it......Not burnt just from catching on fire(Flame)........The outside wire coating (outer jacket) may have rub through and touch the frame(Grounded) and caused heat to start there........After the insulation burnt off there is no sign of and bare wire coating now.........Caper.........Good luck.....

Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

hey UncleBen03 i might have a ignition switch for sale for $25 if you need pm me if ,,,,,,,,,