Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help adjusting carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help adjusting carb

need help adjusting carb on 95 xplorer 4x4 started adusting with out having any knoledge on how to i adjusted the throttle cable or i guess id would be for the ilde and i adjusted the screw on the side of the carb that has a spring on it now my quad bogs out a stalls at full throttle only so can someone please help me adjust it so that it least will run right

Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Which one did you play with? The "pilot air jet" or the bigger one in the middle that only controls the idle speed.

The ATV is a 2 stroke right?

Hope its not the pilot aire jet. Heres how you clean those carbs http://www.ripperd.com/ftp/admins/carb_rebuild/ and this is what tey say about that jet.

Using a flathead screwdriver, screw the pilot air jet in until it is fully closed, while counting the number of turns. Now write this number down, and you can remove the pilot air jet by fully unscrewing it. You will need to make sure the air jet ends up the exact same amount of turns out as it was originally when you put it back together. Set this aside for cleaning also.
You may have to fool with it for awhile to get it back right.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

not exactly sure ill i know is the throttle cable goes int to a cap witha sleev and needle connected to it and when i turned the cable in or out it was adjusting the idle and i also was playing around with a screw on the side and it had a spring on it it didnt have a screw head it was like a screw for a quick adjustment type i was told the screw on the side was to control the sleeve and the on with the cable was for the needle or jet from what i have been reading on other sites

Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

oooh ya it is a 2 stroke 400cc

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The screw made to be turned by fingers it just for idle that one can,t screw anthing up really it just set idle rpm, The top cable with raise or lower the needle jet. Another one you do not mess with. You will have to fool with it by trail and error to get it back.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks so there is not any easy way to set it or just trail and error

Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default update

ok so i took off my carb cleaned it. the works. and its still bogging at full throttle but now the throttle or maybe the idle is to high cuz i cant even put in into gear and it was the pilot air jet i turned all the way in and back out 1 1/2 times and then back in a 1/4 turnand it also seems to be smoking more then before too can any give me a hand

Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

o and also got a new boot for where the carb goes into the air filter box because i notice when i took it off that it was torn

Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

try 2.5 turns out, that is generally a factory setting

Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok ill give that a try tomrro but what about the one at the top the carb with the needle and throttle cable hooked to it do you know what the factory settings for that and also the idle screw or do you know where i can find that out for all the settings for the jets i dont have a manual i bought the quad a few months ago

Quick Reply: need help adjusting carb