Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help adjusting carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can start out by backing the idle screw out a long way. There is a flat spot on the slide that goes up and down in the carb where the screw will sit and when you turn it in the slide moves upwards and gives it more gas and more rpm at idle.

The cable at the top of the carb is for cable length. See if the slide clears the bore when you push the throttle to the bar. If the flipper stops before you get to the bar and the slide is out of site in the bore then you may have it too tight and will break the flipper or cable if you run it like that. The slide just has to completely clear the bore but also has to come to the bottom of the bore in order to idle. It sounds like you have the cable too tight. It is only a one lunger so it is easy to set. Get it to idle first by leaving the cable long and the idel screw out. Turn the screw in until it idles and then adjust the cable until it clears the bore to give you top rpm. You may have to call a dealer to determine how many turns out the air screw should be. Turn it all the way in and then back it out. Be carefull not to turn it in real tight or you could break it off inside the idle jet.

Hopefully I have not confused you too much.

Let us know how things work out.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

wow thanks for the post you didnt confuse me at all explained it perfectly i will try it and let you know im praying it works so i dont have to take it to the dealer to get fix cuz i only paid 400 bucks for the quad and this is the only issue i really had with it except i burned up the starter and the starting selnoid cuz the dealer gave me some bad advice but i will def... try it and let you know

Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

just one more question would this cause it to smoke really bad if its running to rich or is the oil and gas mixture wrong i have been thinking about just mixing my own oil and gas if i do would that help with the smoke

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

If it is oil injected the mixture can be adjusted on the oil pump settings but get it idling and running to top rpm's first before you make any other adjustments. You may have it so loaded up that it is smoking as result. You can always pull the plug after to get it running and take it for a 1/2 mile blast and see what it looks like and how the engine is running.

I would leave the oil injection system as long as it is working. You may also have knocked off the cable that operates the oil pump and in most cases the pump will go to full oil and this will make it rich. With the Polaris sleds the pump does not function and the engine cooks. Not sure what happens on the quads but I suspect the same thing so look for the cable to the oil pump as it should be under the carb somewhere.

Did you get it to run after setting the linkage on the carb?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

i havent started tthe adustments on the carb yet what i have done in the meantime i pulled the gas tank off and empty the gas out its not old gas it was new put when i emptied it i notice dirt at the bottom so i will be cleaning the tank today i also bought a inline fuel filter which im going to put on when i took the carb off and cleaned it the boot that goes from the air filter box to the carb was ripped so i ordered a new on and that wont be here till next week as for the oil im pretty sure the pump is working fine i just read on the internet that if u stop the injecter and use premix that it will help with smoke and sometimes even runs better ooo i forgot to mention this in the begging of my post but i bought and put in fuel injector cleaner for cars in my tank i didnt put a whole bottle but just about 1/3 of it i thought that would help clean the jets and carb i know it was for cars but i figured it might help can this be the cause of all my problems o and i bought a new air filter and selnoid for yesterday i put them both in but i onle get a clicking from the selniod charged the battery and im going to try that today hoping the starter isnt bad

Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

quad starts up and runs just when i hit the throttle hard to full it bogs out and stalls but if i roll the throttle it sill go to full throttle for about 15-20 secs. and die out

Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like it is starving for fuel and that is why it runs to full throttle and then dies out. The air screw may need to be turned out a bit more on the side of the card. Work 1/4 of a turn at a time and I woudl think that at 2 1/2 turns it shoudl be as far as it needs to go. You may want to remove it all of the way and see if the end of the needle is still pin point sharp and not broken off in the carb. The idle screw will not have that issue.

If the main jet is partially plugged my experience is that it will run very well for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile before making a nice hole in the top of the piston due to a lean condition.

Using carb cleaner or injector cleaner for cars will not hurt anything but if your main jet is gummed up you will have to pull the carb and the jet and that soimetimes you can get the bottom of the carb off without tearing the carb completely out of the machine. You can then see the bottom of the main jet (take the top of the carb off so the needle is out of the jet) and should be able to see if it is clean or not. Barring that, just take out the jet and go from there. On some carbs there is a small washer under the main jet so be carefull. You are also working with brass and aluminum so do not overtighten the jet when re-installing it. If you can't clean it then buy a new one as they are only about $8 at the dealer or less at an aftermarket shop.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok since the last time i post here is what i have done took gas tank off clean noticed there bunch of crap in the tank put on a inline fuel filter and i alos noticed that the hose that ran from the filter to the carb was weak and seemed kinked so i changed that also well after i did all that and got it back to gather notice battery died so i pull start it and the cord is now stuck all the way out so that is where im at any1 one got any quick solutions to get the pull start cord back in i tried to take the casing off but i cant get that off cuz to much stuff blocking it from coming out so need help so i can see if what i did to it worked at all

Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

Looks like if it were not for bad luck you wouldn't have any at all.
You can tap the side of the re-wind case with a plastic hammer to see if the cable will go back in. I would get the battery charger and give it a half hour while I cooled down from having all that bad luck and try it with the electric start. The cord will probably find its way back when the engine starts and you can't hurt it with it being stuck out and the engine running. Fixing the re-wind is for another thread.

Let us know if you can get it to light and run!