Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery Issues 07 800 X2

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Issues 07 800 X2

Hello All,
I have a 2007 Sportsman 800 X2 that has gone through two batteries in just over three years. Each battery has only lasted around 18 months. The first one had what I was told a shorted cell. The second battery was what looked like the same battery which cost me 130 dollars. My Quad sometimes sits for a period of 12 weeks with no use. As far as electrical the dealer installed hot grips and I installed a jack for an electric face shield which is wired directly to the battery.
Should the battery still be fine after a 12 week sit? I’m wondering if something is drawing down the battery when not in use?? Do I need a battery kill switch so when I leave all is disconnected? What I do know is when I get the time to go to my cabin it sucks when the quad is dead.
I would consider a battery tender although there is no power left on when we leave. I was looking at solar powered ones but not sure if they would do the job. The garage has one East facing window. I do have an extended warrantee that is good until December but you know how those work. I do not see anything on the paperwork for battery coverage. I am not an electrical guru so it may have to go back to the stealer unless you guys can suggest something else. I am planning on bringing the Quad home next weekend for repair.
I must add, I love this Quad. Thanks
Jim

Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your items are wired to the battery direct do they have a shut off switch? an easy way of checking(sometimes) is to w/ everything off unhook the frips from the battery and then touch them back to see if you have any arcing which means it is drawing juice. when you installed the new batteries, did you follow proper filing and charging procedures? sometimes if you dont get a good full charge before first use it does hurt the life of the battery. imo

Old 09-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

18 months is good life for that battery whether in use and or not. I ran a '07 800 X2 for 5700 miles and ran all seasons, went through two batteries also. A battery tender would be a bonus for your application and riding time

Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

No shut off on the face shield jack. Hot grips have a hi/lo off switch and I believe the dealer wired those into something other than the battery. I will have to confirm that.
I did not charge the second battery, just put it in. It was either ride with the buds or sit and watch the battery charging. These are sealed batteries.

Man... I have an issue with a 130 dollar battery lasting only 18 months. I think the second one was an Interstate.

What do you guys think about the battery kill switch. Is that worth looking into?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Would a better battery help? I put an Odyssey (PC925L) in last weekend. I very much like it over the OEM one for just the female terminals and location. I do have a battery tender on the way too. Thats a pretty expensive battery you paid for. I paid a little more than that but it did help that mad dad is a distributor. The cheapest I could find was $170. The odyssey battery can go 2 years of storage w/o a charge. And a pretty good full replacement warranty. Hope it helps.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

I will probably get an Odessey battery and see what happens. I still wonder if I should consider a battery kill switch.
I would get a tender but there is no power left on at the site once we are gone. This is the biggest issue. Not enough use.... I somehow need to figure out how to prolong batter life when not in use.
Does anyone have any input on a solar batter tender?

Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jampg
I will probably get an Odessey battery and see what happens. I still wonder if I should consider a battery kill switch.
I would get a tender but there is no power left on at the site once we are gone. This is the biggest issue. Not enough use.... I somehow need to figure out how to prolong batter life when not in use.
Does anyone have any input on a solar batter tender?
a few members on here have got the odessey battery and swear by them. it wouldn't hurt to put a heavy shut on switch to shut off power since where it's located vs trying to charge it. i have seen post about the solar chargers but dont rember what they said.

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

What I have read about the solar chargers has all been good,no brand names was specified though.
If you do install a disconnect switch it does go to the neg. bat. terminal.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a Electrician By trade, I have two comments here........18 months for a battery is not a good life for a Quad. And buying a much more costly battery will not solve the issue at hand........
My Quads are 2006 both have over 3500 miles and still have the factory battery!
Up here in Canada the winters get very cold and my quads still start up I seen the temps reach -40 deg.......This is when -40 =-40 Cel. of Far.
Are you in a cold area?...Don't matter here's what to do.......

You need to find a friend that has a AC/DC scope or current clamp on test meter.
This will go over the RED (+) wire and show DC amps drawn.
The scope would be better due to the fact it will show a graph and give a read-out over a period of time.......Stendori's idea will help also but remember the arc will be very small and may need to be seen after dark if there is a very small drain on the Battery.

The price of the battery will not fix your issue, only help in reserved Cap. with all the extras you have..........keep us up to date..good luck......Caper.......

Here is my

Old 09-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here a temp pic from two years ago.
Never even had the Quads on a trickle charge or needed a boost. Started right up with the choke on (carb models).....Caper.....

Attached Thumbnails Battery Issues 07 800 X2-2008-2009-081.jpg  

Quick Reply: Battery Issues 07 800 X2