Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new to polaris..Trailboss 330

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to polaris..Trailboss 330

Hey there. Im a new owner of a used 2003 polaris trailboss 330 and i have a couple of quick questions. I had a 93 kawasaki bayou 300 that i liked, but after new carb, and apart about 10 times, i had a bogging issue. Didn't want to put alot into it, so i sold it for 650, and bought the 03 trailboss 330 for 725. it had been rolled, so the plastic is rough in spots, but it has new starter, tie rods, battery, fresh oil, and air filters. clean except for some of the plastic. Looking at some you tube videos im assuming that polaris all make the noise where it seems like the starter keeps going for a second after you first start it? Goes right away after. non existant on pull start. And..After it warms and im ready to ride it, pushing the throttle lightly doesnt get it going. If i give it about 10% throttle, takes right off and runs great. I replaced a front sprocket with the same 11 tooth yesterday, and it took care of the grinding on takoff issue i had. Overall im pleased with it, but never having owned a polaris before..Is the takeoff thing normal?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds normal to me.
When you get tired of the 330 being slow and kinda doggy let me know ................I know a few cheap tricks to make them run great

BTW welcome to our forums !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Looking at some you tube videos im assuming that polaris all make the noise where it seems like the starter keeps going for a second after you first start it?
Thats the Bendix drive that engages the flywheel,there slow to disengage and sound sloppy/lose. It separate from the starter.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default ftwflh..........

Do you have any hop up tricks for a 2002 trailboss 325? I think its the same as the 330 just a little more bore/stroke? I dunno, lemme knopw if there are any cheap hop ups for it? I had the exhaust off and its quicker on bottom end but has nooooo top end, and the airbox lid is the same deal. Maybe jets? I dont know, but let me know if you know any thing.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djoptimus5
Do you have any hop up tricks for a 2002 trailboss 325? I think its the same as the 330 just a little more bore/stroke? I dunno, lemme knopw if there are any cheap hop ups for it? I had the exhaust off and its quicker on bottom end but has nooooo top end, and the airbox lid is the same deal. Maybe jets? I dont know, but let me know if you know any thing.
Get you a EPI pink primary spring and an Aaen blue secondary spring,Put the lid ON the air box and run a K&N filter.Less than $100 and you will think you have a new ride

Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow.. The site e-mailed me when i got the first reply..I didn't realize their were others. Sorry for not saying thanks for the info..So.. Pink and blue springs eh? ( glad their on the inside ) I did just grab a manual off tradebit for it..Must say.. That was one sweet deal for the polaris service manual..WHat kind of job is replacing the clutch springs for an intermediate level like myself? Im an Outboard guy, but i have had ton's of 3 wheelers, and the bayou. Not too much clutch work though. And TLC..Is the sloppy Bendex thing a polaris normality?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

The sloppy sounding bendex is normal on alot of the Polaris's. Changing springs isn't to difficult. If your just changing the spring on the primary you don't have to remove it from the machine. Just remove the six bolts on the primary face (the side you see)and swap springs. Make sure you put it back the same way it came off!!!! They are balanced. I make marks with a black sharpie so I don't do a boo boo. The secondary just requires removing one bolt and it's off. After that if you don't have the tool for removing the spring I'd just take it to a dealer. Should only take them 5 minutes to swap spring for you. Pay attention and keep track of shims/washers that sit behind the secondary when removing.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

And TLC..Is the sloppy Bendex thing a polaris normality?

On the ones with a separate Bendix drive behind the recoil cover its common. I uses to cringe every time I hit the starter button with its rattly sound ,but after a few hundred start ups I just got use to it.