Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris SPortsman 500 HO. Turf mode and difference vs competitors

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris SPortsman 500 HO. Turf mode and difference vs competitors

A friend of mine was telling me that Polaris has a turf mode on their ATV's. I hadn't heard of it before and admittedly don't find much info even in google searches. I think I understand what it does but I'm having trouble finding what ATV's it's actually on and how it's used.

I'm in the market for a mid sized ATV and the 500 HO is on my short list (GRizz 450/550, and Kingquad 450/500). Turf mode sounds intriging considering I just put a lot of money into renovating my lawn and although I don't plan on playing on the lawn I would need to drive on it to access the back part of my property.

Does the 500HO have turf mode and if so how is it accessed? The Polaris guy didn't mention anything about it during my test drive a few weeks back. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that Polaris uses a fully automatic 4WD system. It stays in 2WD until the wheels slip and then it automatically kicks into 4WD? Is this correct? What about diff lock?

I looked on google trying to find a downloadable copy of a 500 HO user manual but had no luck.

Does anyone know of a good write up on the Polaris 4WD system and how it differs from the GRIZZ/King? Also so better info on Turf mode?

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer
Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

Also, I think you can only get the turf mode on the ATP or X2. Not available on the H.O.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

Parts and owners manual link:
Polaris ATV, Snowmobiles, RANGER, Victory : Parts Manuals

You can google or bing "Versa Trac Turf Mode" or look at the polaris web site and search there also, the Sportsman X2 550 has Turf Mode
2011 Polaris Sportsman X2 550 ATV : Overview

Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Polaris is the only one with a limited slip rear end on some models ,there is no other competition.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the link to the manual. That helped me understand how the Polaris drive system works. How noticable is the engagement of 4wd while in awd mode. Kinnd of sucks the turf made isn't available on the 500ho as it was the only polaris I am really considering because of cost. If I gotta pay yamaha prices ill just get a yamaha. Anyway considering the 500ho is the most budget friendly mid. Sized its still in the running.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by blackwaterstout
A friend of mine was telling me that Polaris has a turf mode on their ATV's. I hadn't heard of it before and admittedly don't find much info even in google searches. I think I understand what it does but I'm having trouble finding what ATV's it's actually on and how it's used.

I'm in the market for a mid sized ATV and the 500 HO is on my short list (GRizz 450/550, and Kingquad 450/500). Turf mode sounds intriging considering I just put a lot of money into renovating my lawn and although I don't plan on playing on the lawn I would need to drive on it to access the back part of my property.

Does the 500HO have turf mode and if so how is it accessed? The Polaris guy didn't mention anything about it during my test drive a few weeks back. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that Polaris uses a fully automatic 4WD system. It stays in 2WD until the wheels slip and then it automatically kicks into 4WD? Is this correct? What about diff lock?

I looked on google trying to find a downloadable copy of a 500 HO user manual but had no luck.

Does anyone know of a good write up on the Polaris 4WD system and how it differs from the GRIZZ/King? Also so better info on Turf mode?

Thanks.
As others have stated, turf mode is only available on X2 models. I would stay away from it anyway... just something else to break, or not work correctly when you need it.

Just try and drive in a straight line in your yard... avoid making sharp turns.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2010 500 HO and my only ********le is when on my gravel drive it makes a mess when I turn and why I pull out onto the highway from the bush it can be a bitch to turn. I regularly travel at 50mph on the road and I've learnt to use my body weight to turn the corners because the bike loves to ride straight.

I wouldn't change it for the world though. I fancy a Ranger (some have turf mode) eventually as it would suit what I do but I think I'll have the Sportsman for life.

All the best

James

Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The Turf mode was available on two models of the Polaris ATV line that I know of. The first was the Polaris ATP (All Terrain Pickup). The other is the Polaris Sporstsman X2. Both the previous version of the X2, like my 2006, and the modern XP version have it. It is an electronically controlled rear locker made by Spicer. In Turf mode you are in one wheel drive. It sends the tourque to the tire on the inside of the turn. While it does help on pavement and on lawns it doesn't mean you won't tear up your lawn going slowly or if you have really aggressive tires. I've found it to be helpful on hard pack and it does allow the X2 to turn tighter than any other 2-up machine from what I've seen. I haven't had any problems with it at all with over 2500 hard miles on the machine.