Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rock problems with stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010 | 11:48 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Question Rock problems with stock rims

I'm having horrible luck (or is it skill?) with the tires/rims/terrain/driver combination on my stock 550X2. I'm riding through extremely rocky terrain and seem to be bending rims and knocking the tires off the bead way too often (or maybe it's the other way around - knocking the tire off *then* bending the rim - but I doubt it). I've read here that upping the tire pressure would help keep it on the bead - but how far above mfg recommendations do people actually go with that? Are we talking 1-2 PSI?

I also have a 550 XP with the upgraded rims, and haven't had a single problem there - though I also read that with those rims, they're likely to shatter if you hit them too hard, and it would be a very long walk home... so I'm not sure that's the best solution. I've seen "beadlock" tires that look like they may be a worthwhile upgrade.. are they available in a material that won't shatter? Or would perhaps just a thicker aluminum rim be the answer for me?

Aside from "don't do that", would do you recommend to minimize the possibility of this happening again - without breaking the bank.

Old 10-18-2010 | 12:00 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

!4" rims really are not for Off road,Low profile tires look cool on a Corvette but are not so great of a idea on a ATV.

A 26" tire on a 12" rim(top pic) has 2 inches more tire cushioning side wall, then a 26" tire on a 14" rim(bottom pic). It just stands to reason.
Buy some Aftermarker 12" rims if you trails are real rocky.

2008 800EFI 26" tires 12" rims

2010 XP850 26" tires 14" rims

Old 10-18-2010 | 12:28 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I didn't know that 14" were considered low-profile, and would have thought that the smaller rims would just lead to more opportunity for sidewall damage. Do they further reinforce the sidewalls to compensate for the larger surface area?

Old 10-18-2010 | 12:41 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

They make 30" tires for 12" rims, love to see that rim ever get a ding in it.

They also make 25"rims for 27" tires. LOL

Old 10-18-2010 | 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

First, you can't put 12" rims on the XP's. Second, I think the stock alloy wheels on the XP's are not very strong. A couple weeks ago, I somehow broke a 4" chunk out of the inside bead area on my left/rear tire ('10 850 - stock mags). I've ordered a set of ITP SS212's which should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully these will be a bit tougher.

Old 10-18-2010 | 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Another thing to consider beyond the wheel size is the tire ply.
I have 6 ply Kenda Executioners - they have what they call lip saver (I think that is what the marketing dept calls it) cause the tire itself overlaps the rim at the lip.
The exta plys or thickness gives me a stiffer sidewall with less roll and with my weight I fill them to 6lb per tire mfg max is 7lbs I belive.
This makes for a more stable machine when turning and gives the tires the extra "bounce" to keep them on the rim.

After every ride I have to pull chunks of wood ect from the lip.
I have them mounted on ITP steel wheels (black)
So far cross your finders I have not thrown the bead.

If you like the mud the Kenda's are nice but they are not the best choice for general trail riding and they are heavy at about 35lbs per wheel/tire.

Old 10-19-2010 | 04:29 AM
Pro Rider

bump up the air pressure 4-5 more lbs. than what you're using now.

Old 10-19-2010 | 01:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked with the local dealer here as well and he echoed the tire ply comment as well, recommending Maxxis Big Horn tires due to the 6-ply structure and the additional bulge and side tread over the stock tires. I'm leaning towards replacing the one messed up rim I currently have with an after-market replacement (which he claims would be much stronger than the OEM rims I currently have), and 4 new tires. Looks like it'll run me around $500-ish for the 4 tires and one rim, and another $60 for mounting. I'm leaning towards not replacing the other 3 (perfectly good at the moment) rims until they need it - which would hopefully not be anytime soon with the new tires.

Old 10-19-2010 | 02:18 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

At one time Polaris came stock with 6 ply tires (Goodyear "P" Trackers). There getting cheap I guess.

Old 10-19-2010 | 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 4getful2
bump up the air pressure 4-5 more lbs. than what you're using now.
Is that directed at my kenda tires?

Also the Maxiss Bighorn is a really nice tire and if I am not mistaken it is the lightest 6ply you can get.
A buddy of mine runs them on his 550 griz and he loves them.....

That said I got my 4 kenda's stock size with the ITP wheels mounted with the chrome stems and the slime for 375 delivered.
The internet price was 415 but I called to ask some questions and the operator asked me if I had a promo code? I said no but asked her for one and she gave it to me ))
Point is you can do the wheels and tires for under 500 mounted. search the internet I am really sorry I dont remember the site but will search for it and post the link once I find it.

Quick Reply: Rock problems with stock rims