Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help with 94 Polaris 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help with 94 Polaris 400

I have a 94 Polaris Sportsman 400 with 1900 miles. The atv was in excellent condition except the engine let go. It's in the polaris shop now and the cost to repair is $1275.00. My question is would this be too much to spend on an older atv? Should I fix it or scrap it? The dealer doesn't know what to tell me. He said that normally that would be too much but the quad is like new. I may be able to rebuild it myself what do you think? Would this save me some money? Can I buy a rebuilt motor somewhere? This is a 2 stroke. Any advice will be greatly appriciated I am not sure what to do. What would you guys do ? Please help. Thanks

Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

rebuild it yourself for 1/3 of that price. it will maybe even be fun,,,,,,,,,,2 strokes have no parts hardly to rebuild compared to 4strokes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MECHANIKE
rebuild it yourself for 1/3 of that price. it will maybe even be fun,,,,,,,,,,2 strokes have no parts hardly to rebuild compared to 4strokes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I would say rebuild it ............IF..........the cases are good and the counter balance is good.
If either is bad look for one on Ebay.( I have a 94 400 engine but it is called for.If he backs out I will let you know)

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

I know where there may be a like new engine you could buy. IF he still has it.

Call 270-384-6018 during the day and ask for Matt.

Or he may have a good case and other good used parts.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I would say rebuild it yourself. Depending on the extent of the damage it could be pretty cheap to rebuild??? But If it were me. I would park it in the weeds. We have two 2000 Magnum 500s sittin out in the weeds with locked up motors. They werent worth fixing. SO we just parked them with the rest of the junk.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

There isn't much on a 2 stroke to rebuild, new seals and gaskets in bottom end, new piston and rings, re-hone or overbore the cylinder depending on the condition, a good cleaning or rebuild of the carb and your set. Why is the motor toast?? Locked up, won't start, no compression???

Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Reply

Originally Posted by H Strine
There isn't much on a 2 stroke to rebuild, new seals and gaskets in bottom end, new piston and rings, re-hone or overbore the cylinder depending on the condition, a good cleaning or rebuild of the carb and your set. Why is the motor toast?? Locked up, won't start, no compression???
Don't know what happened. Got water in fuel last winter and it just stopped. Cleared out water in tank and did a restart no problem then stopped again and couldn't get a restart. when taken apart pistin is broken and rod is bent. Dealer said otherwise quad is like new? It would be a shame to just junk

Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If the ATV is in that good of shape, ask yourself ,what kind of ATV can you replace it with for $1275. When it done you will not have a motor with 1900 miles on it any longer as well.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TLC
If the ATV is in that good of shape, ask yourself ,what kind of ATV can you replace it with for $1275. When it done you will not have a motor with 1900 miles on it any longer as well.
I have to totally agreee on this

Old 11-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I may acquire a 94 400 motor that a cust is probably not going to fix. It has a cracked(not broken yet) piston in it and I don't think he is going to repair it. I will send you a PM and give you my number. I could rebuild the top end with a wiseco and maybe ship it to you if it's reasonable for both of us. I will try to find out wednesday what he wants to do.

Quick Reply: Need Help with 94 Polaris 400