Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

High idle and oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle and oil

I have a 2000 polaris scrambler 400 4x2 with a DAB engine.
The problem I have is that when I get it to start it revs extremely high and I have to turn the key off to prevent it from blowing up. I have adjusted the throttle but it doesnt seem to make a difference. I cant even keep it running long enough to adjust the carb to make it idle smoother. The idle adj on the carb doesnt seem to help either way I turn it.
Also maybe on an unrelated note I have oil spitting out of the exhaust where it connects to the engine. Could that just be a gasket?

Im new to quads and wrenching on them so forgive me if this is a simple fix that I dont know about.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

The slide is not in the carb correctly.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Or you have AIR Leak. Check the boot between the carb and manifold for cracks. The oil is probably just excess oil/gas from turning it over. Take the exhaust pipe off the manifold and dump it out.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

x2 on the air leak

Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will check both of those. Thank you!!
How do I adjust the slide? I cant seem to get it down all the way and any adjustments I make seem to raise it higher. Is it just the adjustment on the top of the carb? If so I guess you have to fiddle with that and the throttle adjustment to find a happy spot then?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

If its not a major leak on the intake manifold the only other things is crank seals, happens all the time on sleds.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the gate to shut by messing around with the piece where the thumb throttle connects and splits to the carb and oiler. Im gonna try and start it later tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

The slide has grooves in it where it slides into the barrel of the carb. The idle screw then meets the slide where there is a flat area on the bottom of the slide.

If you have been adjusting the throttle and oil cable linkage you may have caused issues that need to be addressed before trying to ride it or you may have oil issues and burn the engine if it is not oiling properly.

You need to start with the idle screw and make sure the slide drops down all the way. You may turn the idle screw part way in until the engine will run on its own. Then back it out until you are comfortable with the engien rpm at idle. You can then shorten or lengthen the throttle cable to remove slack at the flipper. The next step is to make sure the oil pump cable is correct. At idle there should be two marks that line up, one on the pump and one on the oil pump lever. You can then adjust that cable to make sure it stays closed on idle and open when you push the flipper.

If you don't get these adjustments right it will not run as it is supposed to. Anyone that has some experience with sleds should be able to help you out and it is a lot easier with 1 cylinder than two or three.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the slide down and that solved the high idle problem. Now I cant get it to stay running, but that may be due to carb adjustments.

Bowana that is good advice and I will check those things.

It will start on starter fluid but will eventually die out. Im pretty sure I need to adjust the idle on the carb. But then again I could be wrong....it happes alot.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

If you have the air box off so you can see the slide, turn the idle screw until the slide starts to lift. You can actually turn it up a bit more and then when you start the engine back it out and drop the idle speed down. In reference to the throttle cable, the cable shoudl be tight enough so that the slide just sits on the idle screw and then when you move the flipper the slide starts to move at the same time.

It should then start and run and a simple adjustment of the idle screw should keep it running and then adjust the oil pump cable and you are ready to go.

If you are putting gas in the carb to get it to start then you may also look at the choke for it can't be doing its job if you are adding fuel.

Quick Reply: High idle and oil