Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Voltage Drop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Drop?

hi all. i have a 2001 trailblazer 250. The problem is the headlight seems to be killing the battery. It's really dim, but when i rev up the motor it gets bright. I got a new battery and watched voltage being pulled from it at idle. When I revved the motor, voltage shot up to 12-13 volts. When the headlight is switched off, my voltages are better but not great. these readings are being taken from the battery terminals at idle. I'm feeling my way around this thing so I don't know what's what. I am open to suggestions Oh yeah, where is this water drain plug I've been reading about. thanks!!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

These older smaller Polaris ATVs do not charge at idle. That is the way they are.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at reved up rpm's it should be around 13.5 to 14.5 +- volts and should be around 12.5 to 12.8+- at idle. our 00 t balzer did not have any issues w/ not charging w/ the light on at idle. the light shouldn't be taking that much voltage as it's not very powerful anyways. imo

Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info!! However I am still drawing a blank because with a new tested battery, headlight "on" My 01 has 6-7 volts at idle. Revved up, 12.
When the headlight is "off" the volts are like 8-9 maybe 10volts at idle. After a day of riding, the "new" battery will not fire the starter and measured voltages at that time are in the single digits

Old 11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'd say it's a voltage regulator problem or the stator is taking a crap. The bike should at least maintain 12 volts at idle regardless what year it is. Otherwise what would be the point of a 12 volt charging system? (Never heard older smaller polaris's ATV's do not charge at idle. That is the way they are.) (Say what??? and smoking what???)

Old 11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

(Say what??? and smoking what???)[/quote]
ok, first I will change the easier of the two.....i hope it's not the stator!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

These older two strokes DO NOT charge enough at idle to power a headlight. Let ANY of them idle long enough with the light on and the battery will discharge.

In his original post he did not give enough info. Now it is clear he has a problem.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Overdrive
These older two strokes DO NOT charge enough at idle to power a headlight. Let ANY of them idle long enough with the light on and the battery will discharge.

In his original post he did not give enough info. Now it is clear he has a problem.

yeah, shoulda been much more descriptive, but that is good to know then too.....I am new to atv's and dont have a clue about them.....but I am pretty mechanically inclined.....

Old 11-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like mentioned, i would check the connection of the recifier first to see if it is not corroded or even plugged in, broken wires or something as it is not charging. imo, your battery would not have no isues w/ the bike running w/ the light on at idle for extended periods of time. you should be easily seeing at idle 12.8 volts of charge into the battery and w/ the light on. your bike IS NOT CHARGING either due to what has been mentioned. you will kill the your new battery in time if you keep driving it this way. imo

Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider

I would try the regulator first, black box in front of radiator

Quick Reply: Voltage Drop?