Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reliability of Scramblers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 300ex and I want something I can play in the mud with a little more. So I was thinking about getting rid of the 300ex and getting me a 4x4 scrambler but I been hearing bad things about polaris. Everyone is telling me they don't last and that the transmission gives alot of trouble. Is this true? Just how reliable are these bikes?

Old 03-07-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

I ride the snot out of my 99 Sport, and have yet to experience my first problem. I am pretty much a maintenance freak, and spend at least an hour cleaning it up after each ride.

Old 03-07-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

My 2000 scrambler 400 2x4 has been through h*ll and back, and we're going again next week.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 03-08-2001, 07:18 AM
Trailblazer

With 3 hours on my 2001 Scrambler 400 2x4, Its been in the shop for 10 out of 18 days since buying it. Right now they're replacing warped transmission cases. The first case they sent was also warped so now they're sending a "matched set" to fix the problem.

Old 03-08-2001, 07:45 AM
Range Rover

I have a 2000 SC500 with about 700 miles in just over 1 year. I have had the chain and sprockets replaced under warrantee, the outer tie rod ends replaced under warrantee, the lower steering post bushing replaced under warantee and just replaced the factory wheels with Douglas 190's because the originals were so bent up that they wouldn't hold air. I cant blame Polaris for the wheels though since I love pounding down the trail just as hard as humanly possible, seems those rocks just jump right out in front of you. The only other problem I have had is the decals on the tank keep coming off. I think I got a little carried away with the pressure washer once or twice. But I know people other makes of quads that have had as many if not more problems. The key is to find a dealer you can trust to make any problem right without a lot of hassle to you. Good luck with whatever you choose. Keep it between the trees.

Old 03-08-2001, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

I have had my Scram for almost a year. I have put a whole bunch time on the trails in it (around 1000+ miles). Here is what went wrong.

steering post/stem- it is just a bad design and always goes out. Even HPD bushings don't last. Covered by extended warranty.

stock alum. rims- dented all to hell but tires still seal. Due to user error and entirely excessive speeds coupled with immovable objects. hehehehe

Small tranny leak- replaced and covered by warranty.

spun out 2 belts- got high centered on a huge log w/a stock belt. Towed a Grizzly approx. 20 miles through rough terrain and spun out a Goodyear Powerstreak. (Times like this a Scram w/ low range would have been nice) The great thing about the Goodyear belt is I was actually able to ride it a few more times before I changed it as that belt is so tough. Belts are cheap luckily.

The Scram is a tough bike and I have had nothing go wrong with it that couldn't be fixed quickly and cheaply. It has never stayed in the shop overnight.

Some people have had regular problems with their Scram but I am not one of them. I do regular maintenance but nothing too extreme. (clean it, check levels, clean airbox/filter, grease it)

Basically, I beat the dogsnot out of it on the trail and then nurse it back to health in the garage. lol

Hope this helps,

MrMan

Old 03-08-2001, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

I own a 98 Scrambler 400 4x4 that I trail ride and race hare scrambles as much as possible.

The main problems I have is with the front end loosening up. The tie rod ends go bad, the a-arms bend and the bushings break very easily. The steering stems break at the bottom where the tie rods connect and the upper steering post bracket flexes badly.

I have had no engine or clutch/chiancase problems at all. The swingarm, axle and related parts are holding up well.

I have broken a couple chains. I now do not jump more than 4 to 5 feet in the air and I try to keep the rpm from rising to much anytime I jump.

I take pretty good care of my quad. I always lube it and change ALL lubricating fluids after a race. I put in a clean airfilter pretty often. I also check most nuts, bolts and fasteners before every race.

I have a buddy with a Banshee that hardly ever does anything to it and his always starts first kick then performs great. I have a feeling if I tried something like that I would regret it.

Paul

Old 03-08-2001, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

I had a 98 400 scrambler for 6 months and just hated it. It's not any faster then an explorer. It won't handle as good as your 300ex. Low range on a 4x4 is almost a must. I had problems with the rear break, chutch cover bounced around to much and would eat the rubber seal. Had to adjust the chain after almost every ride. I can trail ride my grizzly just as fast as the scrambler, have more fun in the mud, and plow my driveway with it. Tim

2000 Grizzly
26" TLS Super Swampers
Super trap IDS2
Hot grips and thumb warmer
2001 bayou

Old 03-08-2001, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

Dam, after reading all of those problems it makes me wonder about my own Scrambler. I have had 2 realy bad tumbles backwards down hills that were two steep to climb, and regularly beat the crap out of it with my NEED FOR SPEED!!!!

Its got lots of scratches, and a slightly bent rim. The only maintenance needed so far was a he-man bending of the bars back straight (both tumbles) placeing the throttle back on the bars (first flip) and a couple chain tightens. Must have one of the good ones. LOVIN IT

By the way, my younger brother has an Explorer and i easily blow by him whenever i want. Only mod so far was a K&N filter.
Stock it runs neck & neck with the 400EX so it would have more scoot in a straight line but your 300 EX handles better on a race track. In the woods on open roads the 300EX would eat my dust. I hear people (mostly the ones that do not own one) complain about Polaris reliability but have found no problems yet. I was lookin at a new 400EX when i bought the Scrambler but wasn't going to pay $800 extra for it.

Old 03-08-2001, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 96 Scrambler 400 4x4 from new. I had a few minor teathing problems that were fixed under warantee quickly and with no fuss. Since then I have ridden it, crashed it, raced it, crashed it, thrashed it, bashed it, trail riden it (gotta love those trail rides where 60miles is minimum and the throttle never gets lower than 3/4)

I maintain it regulary myself, and once a year get the shop to do a full service on it. I did replace the stearing bush (lower) with an HPD one, and made my own tie rods and ends (stock are crap) but that only cost me $70.

Apart from chains, sprockets and tires, the only things I have had to replace has been due to user error while racing (usually connecting with an imovable while going at an unstoppable pace!)

I have also added a number of aftermarket parts, and have not lost any reliability at all, and still love towing a Shee or EX out of the mud and back to the trailer when they break!

Buy one, abuse it, maintain it, love it.

TheJoka
400 Scram 4x4

Quick Reply: Reliability of Scramblers