Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help with a top end on a 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a top end on a 350

Hey everyone,

ok, so I'm doing the top end on my '92 350l. Had a stuck ring as it turned out.(no wonder it was starting hard)

had a couple minor scratches in the cylinder wall which I want to hone out. But my issue is I'm not sure how far I can hone it before it would go beyond the tolerance for the new rings. I don't really want to go oversized unless I have to.

So my question is, does anyone know what the measurement is that is the "don't go beyond" measure for cylinder size for standard rings?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=Great White North;2982857]Hey everyone,

ok, so I'm doing the top end on my '92 350l. Had a stuck ring as it turned out.(no wonder it was starting hard)

had a couple minor scratches in the cylinder wall which I want to hone out. But my issue is I'm not sure how far I can hone it before it would go beyond the tolerance for the new rings. I don't really want to go oversized unless I have to.

So my question is, does anyone know what the measurement is that is the "don't go beyond" measure for cylinder size for standard rings?

If you want to do this right the scratches have to come out, and that usually always means going oversize, especially it you have any amount of mileage on it (meaning cylinder wear). Scratches are usually more than a couple of thousand deep.

Having said that, and without seeing the scratches, and knowing it still ran with a frozen ring, you could most likely use a deglazer, clean the ring groves, and throw it back together and run it. You would be doing this, knowing you are giving up power, performance, and engine life. One thing to keep in mind is everyone always look at the rings and cylinder for ware, but keep in mind, pistons especially the ring groves also take a beating.

I would recommend you do it correctly and go oversize, you will be happier and further ahead in the long run.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont waist your time honing just bore to next size and do it right

Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't bore it sooner or later you WILL so sorry. The piston will bust and the debris will destroy your engine and cost you big bucks to fix.

The bottom end of 350 and 400 engine will last a long time as long as you keep good oil in the counterblancer and you don't let the piston come apart and destroy the cases.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by overdrive
if you don't bore it sooner or later you will so sorry. The piston will bust and the debris will destroy your engine and cost you big bucks to fix.

The bottom end of 350 and 400 engine will last a long time as long as you keep good oil in the counterblancer and you don't let the piston come apart and destroy the cases.
couldnt have said it better

Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

When I used to ride the 350 and 400 I did the top end every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. And I checked the oil in the counterbalancer at least once every couple of weeks.