Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Coolant in oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in oil

Hi guys, I went out to start my 2001 Scrambler 500 2x4 last week and encountered some major trouble... It wouldn't start for more than a second, and not at all without me getting into the throttle. At some point after trying to start it for a few minutes, I heard what sounded like someone pouring water out of a cup into a bucket of more water. I noticed there was no coolant in the small coolant reservior, and then went to check the oil. The oil tank was full to the top! Full of a coolant/oil mix.

The first thing I did was order a Polaris service manual, which I received today. My initial thought was the cylinder head gasket went bad, and since I didn't run the quad beyond trying to start it (in its impaired condition), I figured I didn't much damage to the head (warpage wise). At least I hope not. Could it be the water pump seal? Or oil pump seal (is there one)?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider

Has it been using coolant for very long? it could be the water pump seal or head gasket, the hows the compression, I think I would try the seal first,

Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider

How long have you owned the scrambler? I don't know what part of the country you are from, but is there any chance the coolant didn't have the proper cold weather protection.

If it didn't have enough protection and it froze up you might be in big trouble. Hopefully this is not the case and it is as Kerbbirds says.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've owned the quad since April 2007, and didn't notice any coolant usage until this summer. It was very light usage, maybe half of the small reservior (a cup or so in total?), but defintely something.

My fear is tearing into it, replacing something, and it's still messed up. I'm actually a little excited to get into it as there were a couple other lingering problems I'll try to take care of - loose steering and what I think are minor carb issues (smell of gas after parking the Scrammy).

I use it alot as my little 'utility' quad around my property. I read alot about Polaris bashing, but this is the first real problem I've had in almost 4 years of ownership. I'd buy another Polaris in a second.

Thank you for your responses.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Might be the water pump seal, if it is here is the easiest way to change them. ATV Time :: View topic - Water Pump Mechanical Seal how to replace - 2001 Sportsman

Like mentioned it also could be the head gasket.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the link TLC!

I'm going to try and do a compression test tonight after work. Looking at page 2.18 in the service manual, it states "Average compression (measured) is about 50-90 psi during a compression test". Doesn't that seem low (was thinking 100-120 range)?

Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Polaris 500cc engine has a automatic compression release built into that cam that doesn't allow you to use a compression guage. If you do test it 50-90lbs sounds about right. I tried it once and years ago and got 70 psi I think.

My Clymer manual does not even mention what the compression is suppose to be.