Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 Sportsman Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Kebbird

I know I take it off of my truck when I bleed off the brakes. But do you pump the hand brake or the foot brake?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

My dealer sold me DOT 4 brake fluid, but I noticed the cap on the back reservoir said to use DOT 3. Which do I use?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well I took the shifter linkage and shifter sensor off. I tried to remove the plate that the shifter sensor attaches too, but could not remove it. I tried shifting anyway, but it still would not shift. I did loosen the plate, but I hate to get rough with it. I did notice the shaft that the shifter sensor slides on too was rusty. Any ideas how to remove the plate.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

there is just an e clip holdingthe tranny switch on the shAFT then ther are five bolts that hold the cover on,under that is a detent spring and geat, the book says to mark the detent gear above the keyway so you can get it back, do you have a service manual? it is very clear on disasembly., try, unhooking the the park-lock spring. this hooks to the rear brake, pull thespring and see if park -lock is working it may be your problem, I hooked my old one down lower so it wasalways pulled out, did away eith the park-lock, as for brake bleeding yes use the foot pedal, one bleeder on rear brake is for foot one is for hand book says uppoer mone is hand brake lower one is foot,I use dot 3 fluid

Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

I have the clip, tranny switch and all 5 bolts out, but can't remove the cover. Not sure where the detent spring and geat are? Is that the hole in the cover which tranny switch covers when in place? Thanks for you help!

Old 12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried pushing the brake foot pedal down while shifting?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

if you have the bolts removed its probably stuck cause of sylicone, pry around carefully, it should come off

Old 12-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default No Silicone Kerbbirds

There is no silicone and there is about a 1/16 inch gap between the plate and shifter housing. Would it make any difference what gear it is in? It is stuck in reverse right now. The plate is somewhat loose, but will not come off, I have used channel locks. Something is hanging up. I went to Cycle Parts Warehouse and looked up how it comes off and seen what you were talking about a couple of messages ago.

FYI: I did have the parts store to order the temp. sensor located on the radiator. $24.00 Thanks for the tip. Have to travel to Branson, Mo. for work, so I will not get to work on it again until Christmas. I did remove all the plastic and the winch. Preparing it for the vinyl skin. Later.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, the book says it needs to be in nuetral to get it apart, dont know how your gonna get it there if it wont shift, did you check out the park lock on the rear brake pedal?your supposed to have to push the rear brake down to shift out of park, maybey its causing problems

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

I unhooked the spring on the rear brake pedal and wired the spring down so it should be disengaged. I am going to put the bolts back on the plate and hook up the shift sensor and linkage and try to get it back to neutral, then maybe the plate will come off.

Quick Reply: 700 Sportsman Shifting Problems