Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Sportmen 500 HO Starting problem when cold battery is good

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Sportmen 500 HO Starting problem when cold battery is good

My 2006 sportsmen 500 HO is rider almost every week and has always been very reliable when it comes to starting. a few weeks ago after sitting in a cold shed for a week or two, when I turned the key to start, just a whineing sound is heard but no engine turn over. initial thought was battery, but all lights, instrument cluster, and winch work fine, tryed jumping it anyway but same problem. even swapped out with a new battery, same problem.
I then tryed the pull start, and after about twenty hard pulls it started up and I let it idle for about 20 minutes. After that i turned it off, then on with the key no problem. Went riding all night. next morning same problem, turn key only whining sound but no engine turning over.
Decided to take it to dealer. They said they could not douplicate problem but did drain some water out of the case below the pull start, that was probably frozen causing the problem, along with a loose positive battery connection (i think thats a BS line they tell everyone). Anyway go to start it today and the same thing, wouldnt start with key, only makes a whining sound. Started with pull cord and after running 30 minutes or so, i turn of and then its been starting up all day fine with the key.

Something must be warming up and working.

any ideas of what to check? starter solenoid, starter itself, cables?

Has anyone heard of this before.

Thanks.
EK in CT

Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

If your hearing a whining sound, that's most likely the starter motor spinning. There is a starter bendix that kick out and catches the fly wheel when spun by the starter motor. That's where I'd start looking. Could have just enough moisture in there to freeze it up or it's rusted to the point of needing lubed or replaced. Not a hard job.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Pro Rider

Take the recoil housing off , you will see if moisture has gotten in ther and is causing problems

Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer
Default Two good suggestions! got some questions though.

OK, I'm not a mechanic but can do this with a little guidance. I think im also leaning towards the starter and would go that rout first.

What is the best approach to removing the starter. it looks as though its in their pretty tight and bolts in below the clutch cover.
does the clutch cover have to be removed? belt off? anything else.

Also
as far as removing the recoil housing it looks fairly simple. but a few questions.
Can i just remove the outer bolts and it comes off as a self contained component? Any other precautions i should take when removing? are there spring loaded things that will fly apart? gaskets to be cautious of, oil or fluids that will spill out?

thanks
EK in CT

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get starter off MOST of the times by leaving the bolts in starter housing after loosening them. just leave in housing..... The recoil housing well you prolly need to remove floorboard first then yes loosen the [8 or 10 ] bolts around the housing of recoil, No they aint no surpises that will jump out... just be patence...

Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I wouldn't jump the gun on removing the starter. If your hearing it whine when trying to start it, most likely it's OK. Pull the recoil housing and do an inspection first. Could be something very simple.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default OK recoil housing coming off

OK good advise.
I was thinking that the movable bendix piece was part of the starter but I gather your suggesting its visible and able to be cleaned and lubed from just removing the recoil housing. correct?

Any ideas as to the proper cleaner, and or lube, to grease it up with. WD40?

Thanks EK in CT

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Water "Always" gets by the pull rope handle and into the recoil ,thats why I silicone it in place. That makes it water tight, sounds like you bendix is freezing plus the pulse coil gets dirty and causes harder starter.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

just trying now to find out were the bendix is, and how to clean it. I am hoping its visible and can be accesses for cleaning by just removing the recoil housing.

Thanks
EK in CT

Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Bendix is behind the recoil cover.

Quick Reply: 2006 Sportmen 500 HO Starting problem when cold battery is good