Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Slipping belt questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Slipping belt questions...

Mornin guys, I need advice...
My question is. I know my belt on my '07 700 EFI is slipping. I do have a replacement. I also want to do a EPI clutch kit for next seasons riding.

Trouble is its slipping now and I have snow to move. I'm plowing in LO and not pushing it really hard. I have a small drive way but a long side walks, but they are easily done with two passes.

I was going to throw on the new belt and dress the sheaves. Then in the spring add the clutch kit and another new belt. Then keep the plowing belt as a spare.

My question is my machine was bought used with 71 miles on it and very, very little trail use. It was a snow plow ATV. I'm thinking either the PO didn't properly break in the belt/machine, OR plowed in high range. (OR just abused the thing) I doubt the last as the machine is a excellent condition with no evidence whats so ever of misuse.

I have more snow due here tonight and Wednesday. I just finished plowing about 10" of fluffy powdery light snow. No time to properly break in a new belt.

Am I going to do any harm to just leave the slipping belt for the rest of the snow season. OR should I throw on the new belt clean and scuff the sheaves and just sacrifice the belt, OR pull the cover and clean scuff the sheaves and belt. LEAVE old belt and reassemble?

I am concerned about causing more damage to the sheaves or clutches running it with a known slipping belt.

CW

Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by cwlongshot
Am I going to do any harm to just leave the slipping belt for the rest of the snow season. OR should I throw on the new belt clean and scuff the sheaves and just sacrifice the belt, OR pull the cover and clean scuff the sheaves and belt. LEAVE old belt and reassemble?

I am concerned about causing more damage to the sheaves or clutches running it with a known slipping belt.

CW

I think your concerns are with merit. I recommend changing the belt.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Mornin guys, I need advice...
My question is. I know my belt on my '07 700 EFI is slipping. I do have a replacement.

OR should I throw on the new belt clean and scuff the sheaves and just sacrifice the belt?

CW

I would just sacrifice the new belt...and install. When spring comes around...install a new belt with clutch kit. IMHO...better safe now...than sorry later.

Good luck...

biz

Old 01-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the thing about leaving a slipping belt on there is that you could do damage to the sheeves of the clutches. also the po could have got tyhe belt wet or like you mentioned and didnt use low when plowing causing the slippage in the first place. imo

Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

OK so I pulled the cover and guess what I found!?!?!?

OIL !!!!!!

My guess is the seal at the crank behind the main/ primary clutch is bad. All Sheave's look good once I got the film of oil off everything. Clutches look as you would expect for a machine with under 100 miles and never in mud, nice and clean almost like new. Belt appears oil soalked so I put in my spare belt.

BIG difference!!!

Guess its a trip to the dealer for the seal...

CW

Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

OK so I pulled the cover and guess what I found!?!?!?

OIL !!!!!!

My guess is the seal at the crank behind the main/ primary clutch is bad. All Sheave's look good once I got the film of oil off everything. Clutches look as you would expect for a machine with under 100 miles and never in mud, nice and clean almost like new. Belt appears oil soalked so I put in my spare belt.

BIG difference!!!

Guess its a trip to the dealer for the seal...

CW
Why would you put in the new belt before fixing the seal problem? I would have fixed the cause before? but eh it is just me!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer
Talking

Your rite of coarse, but I have snow to plow!! We getting 4-5" tonight and another 6+ Wednesday.

Never done any of this. Sure I could handle it, all but completely rebuilt a couple different years and model jeeps!! Any special tools needed for the seal change?

Figure I can loose the belt I'll get it to the dealer to fix the seal. Its still under warranty!! Hopefully I can get another belt under warranty too.

CW

Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Old owner probably plowed in high. Change belt and plow in LO. Wished I had snow. Strange leak with only 71 miles???????

Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

weird with so little miles it would have blown a crank seal unless as mentioned the PO beat the hell out of this or something else??

Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

when you buy another belt get the 800 belt, alot tougher than the one for the 700

Quick Reply: Slipping belt questions...