Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

never ends, it was missing now it runs great

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default never ends, it was missing now it runs great

Hey all,
I was out riding today and i had filled up my 03 sportsman 700, went out for a ride and noticed that it would bog down then quit at idle, probably about 15 mins after i fueled up, so i turned around and headed back, by the time i got back home, about 5 miles, it was bogging and missing and just kept getting worse to the point that it would run for a few seconds then bog down and miss for a few seconds then run for a few seconds then bog down, and it almost sounded like air gushes coming from the carb, so i played with the throttle for a bit and it started ideling a bit and i kept playing with the throttle, then it started running great went out for a 45 min ride and ran great. could it be a bit of dirt in the carb? possibly some water, i get paranoid when something like this happens specially when it just seems to fix itself, im kinda stumped.
any info or ideas would be great.
Thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

is the etc on throttle set right? should only be 1/8 inch of slack in cable, spray carb cleaner on the boot from engine to carb , if idle increases or changes at all the boot is cracked, pull plug wires and put di-electric greas in boots , they get wet and cause a miss

Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Is it possible that the machine was overfilled and there was runoff into the vent tube? That would cause it to run rough and then after some fuel was used and/or the vent tube cleared, it would run better. I have had the same thing happen with my machine and it is alomost magical how it just "fixes" itself...Aslo, there have been issues with the boot that goes from the carb to the motor cracking and causing the machine to run rough. Maybe as the machine was heated up, the boot shifted or got warmer and the crack sealed up better.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Big600twin
Is it possible that the machine was overfilled and there was runoff into the vent tube? That would cause it to run rough and then after some fuel was used and/or the vent tube cleared, it would run better. I have had the same thing happen with my machine and it is alomost magical how it just "fixes" itself...Aslo, there have been issues with the boot that goes from the carb to the motor cracking and causing the machine to run rough. Maybe as the machine was heated up, the boot shifted or got warmer and the crack sealed up better.
thanks guys, i just got the bike in june and one of the first thing i did is pulled the carb off to cleen and i noticed the boot was toast so i replaced it, i called the dealer here near my home who i deal with and they siad it sounded weird but possibly some condensation worked its way through, because it just fixed itself, i also put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, before i went for the ride and like i said it runs good now, but ill be honest i was soo mad when i got home that i pretty much held it to the bar to the point that coolent was coming out the overflow, this bike has been a nightmare since i bought it, since june i have put new bearings in the front diff, then replaced the whole diff, then i put in a new belt then a regulator then a stator then another regulator then took it in to get the top end adjusted, keeping in mind im just under 200 miles since i bought it.
And the tires need replacing plus i need to put in a ball joint.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it could have been water by the sounds. number of things can add to it so take one step at a time. try the adjusting the throttle as mentioned.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

put some seafoam in the gas it is good stuff

Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well update, went for a run last night for about an hour, runs good, so im assuming it was water, i did put some stabilizer in it when i brought it back after it started missing.
So thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated
Tom