Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 Brake change....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 Brake change....

I have little or no brake on the lever and some brake on the foot peg. The oil in the foot reservior is clear. I have a 2006. I need new pads I think. Is there an easy way to change them? I did go buy new pads for front and back. Just didnt want to tear into them if I missed something.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Remove the front calipers 1/2" bolts,remove caliper from rotor,remove the 3/16" allen head set screw from rear of caliper (allows the bracket to push back far enough to remove pads),use a screw driver between pads to force piston back,pry out pads from top of caliper first,then off the bottom bracket. You can also pull bracket off(one rubber boot will stay on bracket and one will stay on caliper bracket),lightly grease bracket sliders and reinstall. Install new pads on bottom of caliper first and you may have to push/pry top bracket slider a little further back to let pad slip on(the reason for removing allen set screw). Do the same for the other side. The rear pads are fairly simple with the slide pin at the top, remove and install new pads and spacer then align pin and push back through caliper. Install allen screws in front calipers loosely,then pull brake lever rapidly until you can feel pressure build up,then lock lever,open left front 1/4" bleed screw and close bleeder,do the same lever pumping again,then loosen rear bleed screw,pump lever again for right front,lock lever and bleed.If you have tire off ,turn rotor slowly while tightening set screw,when rotor begins to get hard to turn,back off set screw 1/2 turn(This aligns caliper to rotor) Fill /check rear brake resevoir,push down on petal until pressure is felt,then bleed the other bleed screw on rear caliper while holding pedal down (may take several times at bleeding rear brakes. Note: if front master cylinder or rear doesn't pump up,then you could have master cylinder problems. Hopefully not! Hope this helps OPT