Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 HO Oil Change question x 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 HO Oil Change question x 2

Hello everyone. Here's what I have going on. I went and changed the oil on my ATP w/500 HO motor. I went to the dealer and picked up the oil change kit. 2 quarts & a filter. I drained the oil tank & the motor, changed the filter and put in the 2 quarts of oil.

I used the pull start a couple of time to circulate the oil before starting. I fired it up checked for leaks and everything looked fine until I checked the oil level. It's barely reading on the dipstick. Everything I read tells me it only has a 2 quart capacity. I double checked for leaks and there are none. I did take out just shy of 3 quarts of old oil though. This is the first time I am changing the oil, the previous oil changes were done by friends that borrowed the machine. Any thought / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#2 - I can't locate my manual right now, how do I reset the wrench light?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

2 quarts is what it takes with tank and engine sump drained. You can either remove the 14mm bolt on side of engine OR crank for 20 seconds only and sump will drain out through oil tank. Run for about 5 minutes after oil fill then kill engine,then wipe dip stick and screw ALL the way in.Level should be at or just below full line. Some machines will differ a small amount. The KEY is to run at least 5 minutes BEFORE you check level!
To reset wrench:Place in neural,key off,push yellow button for about 6 seconds,while holding button down,turn the key on and diagnostic will turn on,toggle with yellow button until you come to hr glass symbol and hrs should be blank,let off button ,then push down again then hrs will then show OFF,then let up on button and press down again then wrench will flash,let up on button,then push button down again and hrs will count up to 250,stop at 50 OR when you want to change oil again,DON'T turn key off until the set hrs stops flashing. Then turn key off. The hrs will count down and flash when time is up for next service. Please get your manual, I've explained this before in the forum. Hope this helps OPT. PS If you drained more than two quarts then somebody probably just dumped oil in without draining sump(holds about 8 ounces dirty oil)

Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I ran it for the 5 minutes and wiped the stick ,screwed it all the way in and it still reading low. I'm going to pick up a quart and see what it takes.

Good news is that I got the light to go off.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it only takes 2 quarts.