Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What kind of ramps

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by davidaz
Enjoy your new ride, let us know how you like your first quad. Last little loading tip: Loading in FWD mode tends to make it safer if you have wet or muddy tires.
Great point. Also use Low gear to load. Crawl up nice and steady.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost went with the quadboss bi-fold but at just 42 inches I couldn't even get both tires completely on the ramp, so I went with separates which are arched and about 88 inches long.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by kickedaside05
Just bought a polaris 550 touring and was wondering what kind of ramps everyone was using to load in the back of their trucks. I have a stock 2009 chevy silverado. I have a ramp that comes apart in three sections right now and the outside ramps say 600lbs max. I know the quad weighs more than that but i am using both ramps so should i be ok with this? I did unload it last night with the ramps but also had a good decline so it wasn't nearly as step as on level ground. Just don't want to crash on an upload or download. Any inputs would help thanks.
I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 Touring EPS so would like to ask you one or two off topic questions: My dealer was not sure if this model has the front storage box standard. He doesn't stock that model so mine will be the first I've seen. I went to PolarisIndustry....com and they do show it as standard. So, did yours come with that 8 gallon front storage box? Second, do you normally ride around in 2x4 or 4x4 in the typical trail ride? I'm assuming it's not real muddy or loose traction.

On the ramps, I also have a Silverado, a 4x4 HD 2500. Might be taller than yours. But I don't plan on loading the ATV in the truck very often as I have a utility trailer already. I also have similar ramps.....I have two that are 400# capacity, and another one that is 1500# capacity. (I am not clear if that's your situation also...) I use these to load my 700 lb motorcycle onto my utility trailer that I will also use for the ATV once I take delivery. However, remember with my separate ramps the ATV's weight will be distributed on the two 400# capacity ramps (I won't use the 1500# with the ATV), so that makes the ATV 550 Tourer's weight only about 400 lbs per ramp.

It also depends, I don't think this is the case, but if only one axle put its weight on the ramp at a time, the total load would only be around 400lbs - but I don't think the 550's wheelbase is that long.

Bottom line? I think in your case I'd be looking for a ramp with more capacity UNLESS your ramp is like mine - which is actually 3 individual ramps.....if your ramp is one of those "folding ones", I'd take the listed 600lb capacity as the TOTAL for the ramp, NOT for each of the folded sections UNLESS it's posted that way. However, a 600 lb capacity for a folding ramp is a very light duty ramp and I bet that is NOT what you have.

My ramps came from THIS PLACE and I have been very pleased with their quality.

Deek
2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 Touring EPS

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
.......The only other thing to make sure of is strapping the ramps to the truck when loading/unloading so they don't come off the tailgate.
A VERY good point!

Deek

Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quadboss is a bit on the narrow side, but it has never been a problem for me. The tires hang over a little bit off each side. I just keep it straight and line it up good. I honestly didn't know they made the ramps any wider. I thought that was a standard size.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya my front storage came stock on the 550 touring. I got my ramps from that place as well. I actually bought the black widow for the motorcycle prior to owning a quad. I have not had any problems loading it into the back of the at all. Just a little scary at first. I also do not use the middle section because it is not wide enough when it is installed. All 4 wheels are on the ramps. Now mine are rated 600lbs each. The quad by alone almost weighs 800lbs so make sure you add your weight to the quad.

As for riding i usually just leave the quad in 4 wheel drive, because to my understanding it does not start AWD unless the rear wheels begin to slip 1/5 of a turn. Anyone feel free to correct me if that is wrong. Also if you read the owners manual it tells you any time you are going up or down a hill they recommend you put it in 4x4 with engine brakeing for some reason but it does not work of 13mph. I did try it going down a hill and it slows you down a lot. I have only been out once on the quad so far but was really please with the ride. Let me know what you think of yours. You should check around for a left over 2010 because there is no difference in the year models and i picked mine up really cheap.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya my front storage came stock on the 550 touring. I got my ramps from that place as well. I actually bought the black widow for the motorcycle prior to owning a quad. I have not had any problems loading it into the back of the at all. Just a little scary at first. I also do not use the middle section because it is not wide enough when it is installed. All 4 wheels are on the ramps. Now mine are rated 600lbs each. The quad by alone almost weighs 800lbs so make sure you add your weight to the quad.

As for riding i usually just leave the quad in 4 wheel drive, because to my understanding it does not start AWD unless the rear wheels begin to slip 1/5 of a turn. Anyone feel free to correct me if that is wrong. Also if you read the owners manual it tells you any time you are going up or down a hill they recommend you put it in 4x4 with engine brakeing for some reason but it does not work of 13mph. I did try it going down a hill and it slows you down a lot. I have only been out once on the quad so far but was really please with the ride. Let me know what you think of yours. You should check around for a left over 2010 because there is no difference in the year models and i picked mine up really cheap.
Thanks for all this good information, I appreciate it. I tried unsuccessfully to find a 2010 new or used. In vain. Thanks for the info on the 4x4 operation.

Good (obvious) point on adding my own weight to the ATV in regard to the ramps..... Duh I am embarrassed! I just went down to the garage and checked out my single ramps (I have 3). They are rated 1500 lbs for the one I use to load the motorcycle, and 500 lbs (each ramp) for the two that I use for loading the lawn tractor. So, I will be okay loading the Polaris with me on board - about 950 lbs (me, ATV, gas) using the two 500lb capacity ramps. I will have to rig up something to keep the ramps spaced at the proper width, and I already have a steel cable on the ramps I use to secure them to the utility trailer so it won't slip off that. Yes, it will probably be scary driving up onto the trailer the first few times, but less so than riding it up into my Silverado!

Deek

Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

I use arched aluminum ramps I got at Lowe's. They came with straps for the bumper and loading is effortless with the arch. They don't fold up but fit under the machine in the bed of my truck. I recall they wetre @ 130.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by nuckfutz
I use arched aluminum ramps I got at Lowe's. They came with straps for the bumper and loading is effortless with the arch. They don't fold up but fit under the machine in the bed of my truck. I recall they wetre @ 130.
How do you keep the two ramps spaced properly when you set them up on the back of your truck? In other words, to space them the same distance as your wheels' track? I'm thinking I will rig up something to keep them spaced correctly, so I won't have to worry about going up the ramps and having them move around.

Deek

Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Well worth buying the 2011...IMHO...

You should check around for a left over 2010 because there is no difference in the year models and i picked mine up really cheap.
Ummm...not exactly. IMHO...I think Polaris made a few significant improvements from 2010 to 2011 Touring models. I've listed them here...

New For 2011
• Larger fuel tank (5.25 gal.)
• LuK engine coupler
• Front mount electrical center for easy access and improved weight bias
• Digital/analog gauge
• Lock & Ride rear storage box accessory (in place of Pass. Seat for Graphite model only)
• New Rear Suspension (10.25 in/26 cm travel)
• Passenger seat base design-improved comfort and stability
• Comfort ride-improved passenger spring and shock control
• Lock & Ride passenger handgrips removable for one-up operation

biz