Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My new baby is almost here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My new baby is almost here!

So i just had to make a special post announcing not only have I finally stopped debating 550 vs 850, but I have also picked one out and placed it on hold. I'll be picking it up as soon as my tax check comes in and i can cash it.

2011 Stealth Black Sportsman 850 XP with EPS!!!!!

so, anything i can/should do as soon as i get it to tinker, aside from riding the **** out of it?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Congratulations! Thinking of the 850 X2 when things settle down financially here.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Make sure you do a proper break in period before you start hammering on that thing. I know it will be hard to restrain yourself but I consider it crucial. IMO Others may agree or disagree. Just my 2 cents. Another thing you can do especially if your ever going to be in wet/water conditions is put an ample amount of dielectric grease on all electrical connections. Nicer to do to a new clean machine rather than one that's already dirty.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Oh man....I was getting ready to break out a couple stogies when I heard "new baby"...JK...Congrats on the new ride...post up some pics when you get it...

John

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Make sure you do a proper break in period before you start hammering on that thing. I know it will be hard to restrain yourself but I consider it crucial. IMO Others may agree or disagree. Just my 2 cents. Another thing you can do especially if your ever going to be in wet/water conditions is put an ample amount of dielectric grease on all electrical connections. Nicer to do to a new clean machine rather than one that's already dirty.
Ditto!!!! Break it in right and then have some serious fun.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Range Rover

thanks good note, I'll go to autozone and grab a tube on the way home with her. Whats the standard break in on these? under 4k for x many hours or something?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Will probably be something stated in your owners manual or ask if your dealer knows. I cannot say for sure on the 850 since I've never owned one yet. But I know on machines of past you were supposed to take it easy for the first 10 hours and then do an oil change. After that you can go to every 50 or 100 hours for service intervals. I personally do all my fluids every 50 which may be over kill but it's better than not enough. Remember proper maintenance is key to keeping a happy healthy bike. And don't forget pictures, we love pictures here!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

oh please believe i will post a picture the day i bring her home. Super excited!!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Sportsman XP book says 10 hours take it easy change the break in oil at 20.
Personally 20 is WAY too long for first oil change. too much metal junk in that first change to go that long.

First 10 hours take it easy don't load the motor don't pull anything heavy. Really though the 1st hour is the most touchy where you really want to not load it.

But also during break in you need to run through the revs a little.

Here is how i'm breaking my Xp 850 in. I'm at 1.2 hours on it now.

first hour I took is very easy just puttered around the farm varying the throttle not pushing it.
After I finished the first hour I let it sit cool for about 30 minutes. This isn't really needed but I wanted a snack. Ha-ha.

After that I kept running it up and road the dirt road keeping it below 30 mph varying throttle.
Before I parted it I SLOWLY worked it up to full throttle and slowly back down to idle. I did this twice and than let it sit and cool. You want to take it easy but you also want the rings to seat nice and tight.
Dealer also said in the first 10 hours make sure your not starting it and turning it off a lot you need to get the motor good and warm.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Range Rover

WOOTS, so I just got my checks in, should be able to bring her home tonight, tomorrow at the latest. Just need to pick up my trailer from a friends first. Damn it, this weekend better be nice

Quick Reply: My new baby is almost here!