Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help - 850XP Spitting oil into headlight???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they did do something different but it doesn't work one of the guys from town bought a 2011 did the same thing

Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by awsume800efi
i agree my dealer was supposed too look into it haven't heard anything back but people surley need to be informed cause it happens too easy, polaris will tell you that the reason this is happening is improper warm up or starting it and shutting it off without a total warmup
I learned that when I fouled my first set of plugs. I always let my machine warm up for a long time before even looking at the throttle. This popped instantly when I started it though. Is there any fix to this solution once I go through all this?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

None that I know of other than keeping the atv in a heated shed or cracking the dip stick tubea little to release pressure till its warmed up good I hope we fund a solution cause I am nervous even starting it below freezing which is dumb IMO we need a fix

Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

they had the same kinda probleblems with the 7-800 with the crancase vent. finally recalled it, cmon POLARIS fix , now I better go look at mine

Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

Forget the plug - I'm gonna have that hole welded shut! What happens then.....you blow up the PCV on the exterior of the motor???? Perfect! Why won't the Engineers sit down with the mechanics when designing things!!??? That PCV (frangible) could have been easily designed on the exterior of the block leaving the cavity on the interior void.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

i agree my thought was to put some loctite or something to hold tha plug in better but than what blows out next a main seal in which you would have to split the motor i don't know all i know is i shouldn't have to worry about it at all i haven't had trouble with the 2011 yet but i am real cautious now i won't even start them if its not above freezing and how often does that happen in North Dakota not very often so i just use the good old 800 i hope someone who monitors these forums can give us an answer so i can use the wheelers year around not just in the summer

Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it seems like the better (ya right)these bikes are suppose to get, the worse the problems they have. i think polaris used to take a hell of alot more pride in the years ago bikes then they do in the newer models but maybe it's just me.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

What I don't get is once Polaris have no problem they create one from where one never existed.

A crank case oil vent line ? ,how can Polaris screw that up? It was just a rubber tube from the motor to the air box at one time , nows its a weak fixture at the motor and they vent it to the head light housing instead?

Even if it could not freeze and break who whats the excess oil vented from hilly rides and tip overs blowing into there head light housing.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

here is what polaris had to say in 2009 and mine did get the new breather it didn't help

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
polaris bulliten.pdf (294.9 KB, 914 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If operated in sub-freezing temperatures for repeated, short-run periods of time, it is possible for excess crankcase
moisture to collect and freeze in the outlet port of the crankcase ventilation valve assembly on 2009 Sportsman XP 850 &
EPS XP 850 models.
If this occurs, a restriction of crankcase ventilation to the air box could cause an increase of crankcase pressure leading to
valve cover gasket displacement and leaking. If an oil leak at the valve cover were to occur, oil could contact the exhaust
header pipe and create a fire hazard.
Why even use a plastic one way check valve. The old system was a direct unrestricted vent line from the motor to the air box, if the ATV tipped over and oil flow into the air box ,who cares. Just clean the air box out and add oil to the motor.
You have a little mess in the air box but it was a 100% nothing could break.

I see the reasoning of check valves on the gas tank vent hoses but a motor cant get hot enough to ignite motor oil ,plus it all flows and stays in the air box anyways.

Quick Reply: Need Help - 850XP Spitting oil into headlight???