Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help - 850XP Spitting oil into headlight???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being such a huge problem for a few years why wont Polaris cover it under warrantee??

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"If operated in sub-freezing temperatures for repeated, short-run periods of time, it is possible for excess crankcase moisture to collect and freeze in the outlet port of the crankcase ventilation valve assembly on 2009 Sportsman XP 850 & EPS XP 850 models.
If this occurs, a restriction of crankcase ventilation to the air box could cause an increase of crankcase pressure leading to valve cover gasket displacement and leaking. If an oil leak at the valve cover were to occur, oil could contact the exhaust header pipe and create a fire hazard."

So they are aware of the problem that has been there for a couple of years, why don't they just fix it??

Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my only guess is there just aren't enough reported issues as this only happens when it is cold out maybe it just doen't happen enough, and wenty not sure what happened to you buds maybe the plug blew out in the back before the pcv was replaced in may and damaged the motor not sure but i know that i have run the crap out of my 09 850 with never even a sputter till this ugly incident

Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I've been wanting an XP ever since they came out and nearly bought a 2010 but I'm hesitant on the latest and greatest because of things like this. Once the bugs are worked out, I'll buy one. For now I'll stick with my sp500 which has been around for a while and has proven itself. I do hope they get back on track with their bikes or I might have to break down and buy a grizzly or a can-am for my next new ride.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

this is honestly the only issue i have heard of with the 850 like i said earlier the 850 flat out rocks in every area, i remeber when i bought my 800 in 05 and thinking wow how can it get better than this and now look the 850 is so much better than the 800 there is no real way to explain it, other than this issue which is irritating there are no complaints at all and i will just be dang careful when operating in cold weather

Old 02-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

What are the steps a person could take in cold weather to help avoid this?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by awsume800efi
deerwagon did your dealer get back to you yet to tell you if they are gonna cover it? this crap makes me want spring that much faster don't gotta worry than
I was told that it MAY be covered. They wanted me to drop it off right away - almost too eager. I asked them about the breather being replaced before it left there and they had already looked that answer up and said WELL NO. "That's what we wanna see is whether it has it because we may have and just forgot to note it with Polaris". Sounds like a quick replacement was gonna happen, hmmmmmm.

So, between Polaris and the dealership someone better be paying for this...Jeff

Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Range Rover

Man, I sure glad I didn't buy another PoPo.

Good luck to you guys.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

deerwagon its easy to tell the difference between the new pcv and the old one, on the old one look at the breather hose and where it goes onto the pcv if it is straight out of the pcv and the hose lays flat on the valve cover it is the old style, if the nipple out of pcv is at an angle and the hose is at an angle that is their fix a simple angle change in the nipple where the hose goes on kinda chinsy if you ask me

Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

i wonder if by just loosening the dipstick enough to relieve pressure until the atv was warm enough to unthaw the pcv wouldn't work, thats what i am gonna try hope it works kinda of a pain but what eles can a guy do

Quick Reply: Need Help - 850XP Spitting oil into headlight???