Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can starter on SP 500 HO be safely removed without removing clutch assy

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely the only thing wrong with your old starter is the brushes are worn. You can replace them yourself for about $30.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its crazy that the manual says to remove the clutches and pack plate to remove the starter, who wrote that thing? LOL

Much easier and faster to remove the air box.

Chances are your bushes are not even worn but are just sticking and just need to be cleaned and freed up, thats what happened to me.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by TLC
Its crazy that the manual says to remove the clutches and pack plate to remove the starter, who wrote that thing? LOL

Much easier and faster to remove the air box.

Chances are your bushes are not even worn but are just sticking and just need to be cleaned and freed up, thats what happened to me.
Ditto! My brushes were barely worn when I had problems. Amazing what just a little moisture will do.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

yes it can be done as i have done so.......ready mixer you are correct with your advice...it is a pain to do but possible....its also a chalenge to put it back in

Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I lubed the bushes when I put it back together 3 years ago, I think its better than new since new starter have dry brushes with no lube to prevent it from corroding from moisture again.

Even if I bought a new starter I would lube the brushes before putting the new starter on.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am attempting this very project this weekend on my 03 Sportsman 500HO. I bought a new solenoid, starter and bendix from DB electric. I was getting just a click when trying to start and nothing else. It has a new battery so I decided to replace all of the above. I replaced the solenoid today since it was easy and same deal as before, just a click. I did remove the filter box and all the air intake tubes today just to get a head start but it still looks like it is going to be really tight in there. The bottom bolt holding the starter in is going to be the hard part. I have already taken the top bolt out. I will probably start on it Saturday morning.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The bottom bolt holding the starter in is going to be the hard part. I have already taken the top bolt out. I will probably start on it Saturday morning.
The bottom bolt will disconnect but will not pull out do to the clutch back plate in the way.

Just rotate the starter so the bottom bolt is at 12 O,clock and remove it and pull the starter out.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure I understand what you are saying to rotate the starter so the bottom bolt is at 12 o'clock and the bottom bolt will come out. Can you give me a little more info on how to do this?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

TLC, nevermind I think it just dawned on me what you were trying to say. So I would put the upper bolt back in a few threads then get the bottom bolt loose, pull the starter back and rotate it up so I can pull the bottom bolt out then pull the top one and remove the starter. Reverse the order going back in. Does this sound right?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by Hunter11
TLC, nevermind I think it just dawned on me what you were trying to say. So I would put the upper bolt back in a few threads then get the bottom bolt loose, pull the starter back and rotate it up so I can pull the bottom bolt out then pull the top one and remove the starter. Reverse the order going back in. Does this sound right?
Take the top bolt out and forget about it. Completely loosen the bottom bolt then turn the starter motor clock wise so the bottom bolt is now at the 12 o'clock position, (now on top) then pull that bolt out. That's it. When the bottom bolt is completely loose from the threads it will be "VERY" close to the back of the clutch housing as you rotate the starter. Does that help ya any?

Quick Reply: Can starter on SP 500 HO be safely removed without removing clutch assy