Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starter issues????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issues????

just bought a '95 explorer 400 4x4,..starter would just make clicking noises when i got it,..bought a starter,put it on,cranked right up,...cut it off,..tryed again,..just clicking again?? starter i pulled off seems to be fine once off too??? what am i missing here??

Old 03-04-2011, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose or dirty ground wire, check wires to solenoid,possible bad solenoid. The fact that it fired up with new starter and went back to clicking may point to the solenoid or the wiring to it. Battery fully charged, newer, older ? could have had enough charge for first start, then maybe dropped just enough to cause it to click, charge battery and try it again to see if voltage is a factor. My motorcycle did that to me out of the blue, turned out to be a slightly loose neg wire on the battery, barely snugged it down, and it never acted up again. If checking the battery, make sure the cable ends and battery terminals are clean, even a little corrosion can drop a lot of voltage.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

sposed to be a new battery,..but i will check it out an see! wheres the solenoid at an how do i check it??? thanks for reply!!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

have problem with my starter just turning and every now and again it enages ! any solutions>

Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

well went for bout a 4 hour ride in the woods today,..an pretty close to end of trip noticed that lights quit workin again an engine fan wasent working???

Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

get a multi meter, touch it to battery leads , while reved up a little it should show 13.5 or more volts, I suspect its not charging, most likely regulater , black box located in front of radiator

Old 03-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

looked at it today an lights an all workin again,..starter still just clicking,guess i got some water proofing to do!...volts are low on battery,so ill be looking at that closely!!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

well checked battery tody,10.5 volts,...cranked it up an checked at a high idle still 10.5,...rode it round farm right hard for 10 minutes an checked it again at high idle an very iratic 6.3 to 6.9,..cut it off an checked it 10.4 so i guess im shoppin for a regulator,...if its not the regulator what else would it be??? any body know where regulator is located an if an how it can be checked with a ohm metter??? thanks for any advice on this!!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the regulator, or, lets hope not,the stator could be going, you will need a manual to tap the leads coming from the stator to see what its putting out, cant tell you what that is, every quad is a bit different, some put out 25-45 V AC that is regulated down to 13.5-14.2 V DC. I am not familiar with Polaris wiring, so I cant tell you which ones to check. Before digging in too far, will battery even hold a good charge? try charging it up good and see if it holds a good 12-13v after a charge, if it wont even get up to 12, or rapidly drops off to 10 or less after sitting a little, it could just be a really bad battery, that will mess up your charging system pretty bad.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

gonna unhook battery an put a good slow charge on it tonight an load test it tomorrow,...an check wiring an connections real well,...any chance of a auto parts store haveing a regulator???

Quick Reply: starter issues????