Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starter issues????

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that is a very specific type regulator/recifier, only a Polaris dealer, or an ATV catalog would carry something like that.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well,charged battery an its holdin good charge,...found a used regulator for 20 bucks,put it on an battery shows 12.78 volts settin,..an cranker up its showin 14.68 so i belive i got the charging issue took care of,..but starter still just a clickin, gona pull it back off soon an see what i can figure on that,..thank for every bodys help on this, cant wait to ride again!!!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a heavy duty relay or solenoid going to the starter, if the starter tests good, you may need to trace back the Positive wire to see if it goes to a relay, that could have a bad connection, or be worn out, and it will just click without putting power to the starter. I'm glad to see you are not giving up, you have narrowed it down to one or two components, you should be all fixed up soon !!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

FYI, I have some of these components you're troubleshooting left over from an engine swap listed on Ebay.

Polaris Xplorer 400 2-Stroke Engine Core - eBay (item 120695205739 end time Mar-18-11 09:16:16 PDT)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cwright
FYI, I have some of these components you're troubleshooting left over from an engine swap listed on Ebay.

Polaris Xplorer 400 2-Stroke Engine Core - eBay (item 120695205739 end time Mar-18-11 09:16:16 PDT)
thanks,..a guy here local has a whole xplorer im gettin parts from right now,..an im not needing a motor at this time,..but thanks for da plug...

Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bigcam400
well,charged battery an its holdin good charge,...found a used regulator for 20 bucks,put it on an battery shows 12.78 volts settin,..an cranker up its showin 14.68 so i belive i got the charging issue took care of,..but starter still just a clickin, gona pull it back off soon an see what i can figure on that,..thank for every bodys help on this, cant wait to ride again!!!
Nice you got that charging issue taken care of.

It's very possible your starter problems are seperate from your charging issues. More often than not on these starters...they need a rebuild! It's usually cracked or worn brushes that cause the intermittent starting/clicking. These starters tend to take in water, rust, corrosion and premature wear. The starter is very easy and cheap to rebuild. I'd go with a rebuild kit from "DB electrical" on Ebay.

Once you get it rebuilt and put back together, do some "waterproofing"...clean and seal all the joints with rtv and reinstall. Also rtv the recoil housing before putting it back on. RTV anywhere water could possibly get in. Once your sure the starter is working well...rtv the recoil handle where it seats on the housing. Doing this sealing will keep all the water out out of the starter and recoil. If you ever need to use the starter rope in the future...the rtv seal will pull off pretty easily.

As long as I mentioned waterproofing the starter...I have many areas RTV'd or siliconed on my machine...starter, recoil, belt housing/vent and air intake/air box. Does it need it?? Maybe not, but it's piece of mind the rare occasion I go deep. The sealant, be it RTV or silicone comes right off if need be. I also have a thick coating of dielectric grease on/in everything electrical. I've been on to many runs and watched machines smoke belts or have electrical issues due to water intrusion.

I think you'll find on that machine, especially as it's "aged"... if you keep things sealed up, electric grease, chains proper tension and greased and keep the fluids clean. They're pretty fun, reliable machines.

Wenty