Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need opinions on new 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on new 4x4

I am buying a 2011 quad. Picking it up next weekend. It is either the 500 Spotsman or the 550 Griz. The griz is about 2G more so that is the reason I am leaning towards the Polaris. I like the idea of EFI but not sure I like to the tune of 2G. I am getting a winch and plow with the bike and will use it to hunt, plow my driveway, haul fire wood and a little trail riding. Although is will see mud I am not going bogging with it and I am pretty meticulous with my toys as far as maintenance and routine upkeep.

I am looking for opinions on why I want the Griz over the Sportsman and, considering my use, what you recomend?

Thanks - Bob Urban

Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 550 would be a more equal comparison to the grizz than the 500.

If you could ride both side by side I think you would see the $2000 difference.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer

??? - What is the difference? What I am looking at is a 2011 Sportsman 500 w/ winch and plow for 6300.00 - Brand new. It does not have fancy wheels and is carburated. I would guess it is the lower modle if there are more than one model. I just want a practical machine to ride a bit and do a little work with. I will ask when the sales rep calls me back.

Bob Urban

Old 03-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

As you said, the 550 Grizz will get you EFI and more top end speed. The 500 Sportsman will give you a more comfortable ride and better on board storage with the front under rack storage. The Grizz is probably a touch more reliable but the 500 is also a proven engine. I've got over 2700 HARD miles on mine in every season in every terrain. It's never had a hiccup. In all the things you've mentioned the machines are pretty much equals with the exceptions I've mentioned above. Hope this helps. If you can, take both for a ride.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Both are great machines. I love my 07 SP500 and wouldn't trade it for anything but maybe an XP model or a can-am outlander. I can't say if the newer 550 grizzly is more powerful but I do know my buddy's 02 grizzly 660 and my 07 sp500 EFI will run neck and neck consistently from a stand still start. Test ride both then decide. I've ridden the grizzly's and think they're a top notch machine but they just don't feel like that perfect fit for me. You on the other hand may prefer the grizzly over the polaris. Don't get hung up on the EFI. Yes it's nice to have but that's one more thing that could fail down the road. A carb is cheap and easy to rebuild. EFI gets expensive with fuel injectors, computer controls, sensors etc.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

My dealer has test ride availablity for all the machines and has encouraged me to come out and ride them both. I was going today but it is just flat our nasty here in Michigan today - freezing rain and all so I put it off until next weekend. I know, I know - that is the weather you want to test them in but I am not going to get soaked just to buy a quad. They are actually encouraging me to buy the SP for the purpose I want it and the value but I am just doing my homework. I know the reputation of comfort that polaris has and that is important although not the end all for me because it will be really rare that I am on the bike for longer than 30 minutes at a time almost ever with the exception of a camping trip to the UP once a year. Mostly riding to the treestand and back and hauling a trailer full of wood and chainsaws for the wood stove.

Input is great - thanks. I like the thought of simplicity over technology with the carb as I will likely have this machine forever.

Bob

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I had another thought for you to entertain. See if your dealer has a deal on a past year model Sportsman X2. It has a dump box that can convert to a 2nd seat for a passenger. After having mine for almost 5 years and about 2700 miles I don't know if I could go to a model without it's features. If your dealer has a pre-XP one around you could probably get a great deal on it. In addition to the classic Sportsman ride comfort it also has a 400 lb. rack rating in the rear. I use mine all the time for hauling firewood. I built an extension on the dump box to make it deeper and in the winter use it to move firewood to a rack I have on my deck.

Trending Topics

Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Here's how the X2 looks with a couple hundred pounds of dried firewood.

Attached Thumbnails Need opinions on new 4x4-x2firewood.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

That is awesome Moose - I will certainly look at all the options when I get to the dealership and will ask them over the phone what they have in past year models. Although I have rode my friends SP 500 and been looking for a while I have not even been to the dealership I am buying from. They are about an hour away and heve the best price, great rep and my friend bought his Ranger from the person I am working with. I like the dump box idea if there is one available and the price is right? Decisions, decisions - By next saturday I will be riding one way or another.

Thanks to all for input and keep it coming - Bob

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Moose makes a good point. The X2 might be just the thing for you. Great if your going to be hauling stuff on a regular basis with it.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on new 4x4