Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear CV boot leak - could it just be a loose clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear CV boot leak - could it just be a loose clamp?

I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 and I noticed the smaller end of one of the rear inner CV boots was leaking some grease so I decided to try and replace it. After a quick search on this forum, I found some great how-to threads and got everything disassembled and the rear axle shaft out.

Close inspection revealed the boot clamp to be a little loose (I could wiggle it by hand) but the boot appeared to be completely intact. I separated the axle shaft from the CV joint and removed the boot - everything inside looked great with no signs of contamination. Is it common for these clamps to fail? It doesn't seem like there is any adjustment with the clamps and they can only get so tight. What is everybody using for replacements - OEM or something from the auto parts store?

Lastly, since I got this far I am going to replace the boot also in case there is a pin hole leak I can't see. I found one thread in my searches that stated the OEM boot kit costs $56 - is this really true????????????

Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sevensandeights
I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 and I noticed the smaller end of one of the rear inner CV boots was leaking some grease so I decided to try and replace it. After a quick search on this forum, I found some great how-to threads and got everything disassembled and the rear axle shaft out.

Close inspection revealed the boot clamp to be a little loose (I could wiggle it by hand) but the boot appeared to be completely intact. I separated the axle shaft from the CV joint and removed the boot - everything inside looked great with no signs of contamination. Is it common for these clamps to fail? It doesn't seem like there is any adjustment with the clamps and they can only get so tight. What is everybody using for replacements - OEM or something from the auto parts store?

Lastly, since I got this far I am going to replace the boot also in case there is a pin hole leak I can't see. I found one thread in my searches that stated the OEM boot kit costs $56 - is this really true????????????
Best to use OEM boot kits! Most other members will say the same! As far as 56 bucks,sounds too high,we sold em for around 26 to28 bucks (if I remember right) when I retired 5 months ago! Where are you located? OPT

Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes the clamp could be loose and there is not any real good way of tightening them up. if the grease was coming from under the end of the boot then chances are the boot is in good shape. but if you decide to get a new one then yes stay w/ the oem boot.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM boot kit should be under $30 and the clamps work good if installed properly. If your dealer is good see if they will install it if you bring it in. Mine never charged me. Gorilla axle sells a nice aftermarket tool w/clamps.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. I am located in Erie, PA. I plan to give the dealer a call later today to check on the price.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Just called one of two local dealers and they quoted me $36 or $46 depending on the serial number on my machine. I guess there is a model break somewhere in the 2008 production year. I am at work so I will have to look up the serial number later.

I bought my machine used and out of state so I have no relationship with either local dealer. I will see if the other one is any cheaper.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default where did you go to see How to remove the axle to put new boot on

hey sevensandeights, in your feed you said you found somewhere HOW TO change the boots on your atv, can you tell me where to go to find this?

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Your paying to much, I payed $30 and thats from our Polaris dealer in Canada.
This place sells them for $23.10 in the States Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Most people would say you could of just rebanded it while it was still on the ATV,but its good you took it apart to see if the expensive CV was contaminated for peace of mind.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Your paying to much, I payed $30 and thats from our Polaris dealer in Canada.
This place sells them for $23.10 in the States Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Most people would say you could of just rebanded it while it was still on the ATV,but its good you took it apart to see if the expensive CV was contaminated for peace of mind.
Good post.
What I do is print out the info from the internet and find a dealer that will price match that way I can get the part in my hands in some cases same visit.
My local dealer here in PGH is Bob Tracy and they will do a little better than listed internet pricing.
I get all my parts from them.

Quick Reply: Rear CV boot leak - could it just be a loose clamp?