Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to Me 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a sweet looking quad you got there. I think I noticed that one too when I was looking.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I really like this quad, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. I've ran into my share of problems in the short time I've owned it, mostly electrical issues. I picked it up out by grand rapids, MI. I got a decent deal on it, but nothing to write home about, esp after what I've had to do to it. It must have had a rough 500 miles put on it! You said you were looking, did you get a Polaris also?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess that wasn't the one. I saw something very similar (Blue, bags, blade and all) in listed in either Grand Blanc or Swartz Creek a few weeks ago. I picked up my 2008 X2 700 last Friday. I was looking for a Touring and preparing to drive across the country to buy one when I stumbled on this X2. I thought it was a scam because the price and miles were so low but it was listed in my home town so I thought I had nothing to lose. Turns out it was part of an estate.

Last edited by daev67; 04-14-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 500 is all I need ,I ride trails where you can only hit 30 mph for a few seconds at a time and the ATV almost goes 60mph, and a 500 in low range will pull as hard as 850.

Tie a 850 to a 500 together and have them have a tug of war and they will not go anywhere, they will both just dig 4 ruts and bury themselves.

Here is video of a 23hp 450 Honda foreman pulling against a 42 hp 660 grizzly YouTube - yamaha 660 grizz vs honda 450

Heres another one two ATVs going nowhere fast. YouTube - can-am vs Polaris

Same thing happend to me when a tried to tug of war against a 350 Rancher, power has nothing to do with pulling, its about traction and weight.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by daev67
I guess that wasn't the one. I saw something very similar (Blue, bags, blade and all) in listed in either Grand Blanc or Swartz Creek a few weeks ago. I picked up my 2008 X2 700 last Friday. I was looking for a Touring and preparing to drive across the country to buy one when I stumbled on this X2. I thought it was a scam because the price and miles were so low but it was listed in my home town so I thought I had nothing to lose. Turns out it was part of an estate.

That sounds like an awesome deal and an awesome bike. I have seen a few come through that would have been a better deal for me since I bought mine, but that's what always happens. The funny thing is, that bike you saw was mine. My wife put it up for sale shortly after I bought it when she found out how much money it is worth. She was just messing with me, and I am pretty sure she pissed off quite a few people who wanted to buy it! I have since added a rack extender and handwarmers since then. I also bought a new mount for my glacier II plow, but I may return it and go with a whole new system next winter if I can't reinforce the broken mount that I have. The glacier II isn't very solid.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's scary about the Glacier II. That's what I have. The previous owner never plowed with it but I plan to. My driveway is about 300 feet!

That was rotten for your wife to do that, pretty funny though!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Even my wife remembers seeing your quad listed on Craigslist! She was interested in having me look at it too!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by daev67
That's scary about the Glacier II. That's what I have. The previous owner never plowed with it but I plan to. My driveway is about 300 feet!

That was rotten for your wife to do that, pretty funny though!
Yeah she thinks she's funny! It was all fun and games until her new washer and dryer went up for sale!
I bought a new mount for the plow for $85 but I think I'm going to take it back an reinforce the old one. If it breaks again, I'll switch to a heavier duty one. It is weak steel for sure. Even the new mount I bought felt like it was very chinsy. I have read alot of other posts where others have broke the same way mine did so I can't chalk it 100% up to user error. I put a cycle country on my first sportsman that I bought and sold, and it was nice. It was by far the cheapest that I found, and it scraped all the way down to the cement and felt beefy. I bought the whole setup from a small shop by Lansing for about $275 brand new and I will go there again for my new quad if this glacier gives me any more problems. Another thing about them is the wear bar wears very fast. I read to flip it over on a regular basis to help slow the wear. I'm going to get one cut at a steel shop I think for next year becauseit is like $80 to get the heavy duty one from Polaris.
Well I hope I tackled my last electrical issue for a while on my quad and look forward to some trouble free riding this weekend hopefully! Thanks for your compliments on my quad. It is pretty nice looking machine. The blue has really grown on me. I wasn't sure about it at first but the paint on it is nice and shiny and pretty resistant to scratches. I've been using my iPhone so I can't tell, have you put any pictures of yours up yet?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you click on my Garage under my name or look here I posted a few pictures.