Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2011 850xp Oil in Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 850xp Oil in Airbox

I have a 2011 850XP that is blowing oil into the air breather box. It is excessive and the dealer has replaced the entire crankcase vent system three times and it still blows oil. The ATV has been in the shop 2 out of 4 months I've had it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

Personally, I think Polaris needs to recall for this issue. Search, there are 100s of threads on this subject. You will find plenty of people with this issue. Im losing respect for the company for not taking care of this issue by now. they been out three years, should be fixed.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
BPM
Range Rover

I have a 09 which they up graded the breather check valve. With 2000 miles on it and have had no oil in the air box yet. From what ive been reading it seems tobe more of a problem with the new models like the 2011's. I don't know what they did differnt but it sounds like they screwed something up. To much blow bye! I know they have had an issue with them freezing up in the winter and blowing out the rear main seal too. Make sure you don't have any oil in your clutch housing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JCSanders
I have a 2011 850XP that is blowing oil into the air breather box. It is excessive and the dealer has replaced the entire crankcase vent system three times and it still blows oil. The ATV has been in the shop 2 out of 4 months I've had it. Has anyone else had this problem?

2 out of 4 months I'd sell it tomorrow thats unacceptable I'd demand my money back , makes me wonder what my next machine will be .

Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

they havent fixed it yet? time for a new dealer, I also think they should recall,I just dont think they have the proper fix yet,havent had any problems on mine but hope they figure it all out

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

Just remove the spring inside the breather and the small filter around it you just have to remove the seat the 2 torx screw it a 5 min job.test it and let me know.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

I think they should put the same style breather that was in the 800. They had no problems with that setup. They could run a recall of redesigned valve cover before they get too many more out there. They could even use the parts they already have in production for the breathers. They would just have to design a valve cover to accept it and bolt on the 850 engine.

Unless of course the problem is excessive blow by and I'm sure they don't want that serious of a recall to handle.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Angry

I have a 2009 850 with just over 200 miles on it. I have had the original recall valve replaced. I just checked my machine and I have oil in the airbox. Called the dealer here in Jackson Michigan about this issue, and just like every other issue (he says he has never heard that before) I asked him if he ever sold any 850's yet as it seems that he has never heard of any of these problems. The guy does not like me now. I called the polaris customer service, and i was told that there were no other issues or recalls except the first valve recall. I was also told I am out of warranty so there will be NO financial help with any repairs! I called another dealer in Lansing and he said some blow by was normal. He said to clean up the oil mess and monitor it. I also asked him about the clacking noise coming from the rear end, and he said they have changed a couple. The machines made the noise, but did not really need to be replaced is what he told me. I just hate the sound of the clacking as it leaves me with distrust of my machine 10 miles out in the boonies or out on a big lake. Apperently like everyone else has said the tolerances of the rear end components are terrible. WAY TO GO POLARIS! I would sell it if I could find someone dumb enough to bye this piece of >>>>! sorry for the rant. I feel everyones frustration.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

i have put the new style pcv in both my 850's, no oil in the air box yet, i do have the clicking in the rear end on my 09 only when i let off which is annoying, i have 700 miles on my 09 and only 50 on my 11, i have heard about the oil in the air box and my dealer said they made something different for the pcv to sit in as the original is plastic and glued the new setup is metal and bolts in i have no idea how cause i haven't had to fix mine yet, i love my 850's, hope they start helping some of the guy's out at least with known issues and hope they get fixes and let customer's know they are available

Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 AM
BPM
Range Rover

To You guys with the clicking rear axles. I had mine in the shop three times before they would replaced them. But every time i brought it in i bitched about it and they finely replaced them at no cost. Polaris know about it and will replace them. I think its just your dealer that don't have the ***** to call them on this issue. I bought a first year machine 2009 850 xp and figure there would be a few issues with it. Good luck and keep on your dealers don't let them push you off.

Quick Reply: 2011 850xp Oil in Airbox