Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help with Hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Hawkeye

I have a 2007 Hawkeye 300 and the fuel guage recently stopped working. I can buy another gauge but can't for the life of me figure out how it comes out of the tank. Called a few dealers and they keep getting it confused with the newer models that have the gauge made in the side of the tank. Mine is right above the gas fill hole. If anybody know it would help ALOT. Thanks guys.

Shane

Old 04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I might be confused myself,but the ones I encountered were glued into the tank?? The 2008 fuel tank shows a threaded fuel gauge replacement If its an 07 should be glued in(might have been threaded and glued down?) But replacement gauge wasn't shown on parts break down if I still remember correctly for the 07?? OPT

Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

I have an 06 with the float type mechanical gauge, is that what you have? is it stuck on full or empty? maybe some giglling will free it.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I might be confused myself,but the ones I encountered were glued into the tank?? The 2008 fuel tank shows a threaded fuel gauge replacement If its an 07 should be glued in(might have been threaded and glued down?) But replacement gauge wasn't shown on parts break down if I still remember correctly for the 07?? OPT

#10 is what part I need, this picture shows the gauge near where the seat is and gas cap towards the bars, but on mine its the opposite. So you advise to get the part first and then I might be able to tell is its glues or screwed? Hopefully the diagram will help clarify. Not sure if I need #11, says its a grommet, the floater has come off mine and is now floating in the tank.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by miniexcavator
I have an 06 with the float type mechanical gauge, is that what you have? is it stuck on full or empty? maybe some giglling will free it.
While riding it will just spin around and around. Then when I stop, the needle just goes straight down. See something floating in tank, thinking its the floater.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stgilmer
While riding it will just spin around and around. Then when I stop, the needle just goes straight down. See something floating in tank, thinking its the floater.
sounds like you might have some kind of clip in the tank also(whatever held the float up)

Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by miniexcavator
sounds like you might have some kind of clip in the tank also(whatever held the float up)
GREAT...time to fish.I searched the forum and found out that it pops out like a cork, gonna try tomorrow to see if i can get it out first then see whats missing off of it. Will check back in after i find out. Thanks guys!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by stgilmer
#10 is what part I need, this picture shows the gauge near where the seat is and gas cap towards the bars, but on mine its the opposite. So you advise to get the part first and then I might be able to tell is its glues or screwed? Hopefully the diagram will help clarify. Not sure if I need #11, says its a grommet, the floater has come off mine and is now floating in the tank.
Yes it shows the fuel gauge for the 07 (my fault),but if its like the 06 models its glued in? but looks like tank insert just screws in,but you should not need this part I would think?? Needless to say,I never had to replace one on the Hawkeye,so I'm not absolutely sure about the screw in insert(grommet) as to where it needs to be replaced with the fuel gauge,or even might come with it as an assy! I've ordered extra parts before when break down shows to be separate and came with extra items! If not too expensive I would get it just in case you damage one? Sorry I can't help any better!! The 09 model does show that you must buy tank assy,fuel gauge not sold separately! OPT

Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gauge did pop out like a cork, with some time/screwdriver and working around and around it. Then I used a bent piece of wire to snag the rods up near the fill hole and grabbed them/took a few tries. I couldn't get them to stick to a magnet like I read on here. Once I got everything out and wiped down I applied some Seal-All gas&oil resistant to the rods and slid them back into the holes on the back of gauge. Will let that setup for a day. Then will have to put the gasket back in the hole and hopefully the gauge/rods/float will slide back in the hole without too much fuss. Overall spent $3 for the seal-all, saved the $30 for a new gauge.

There was talk about putting silicone on the gasket, it did appear to have some on it but wasn't doing any good, broken down by the gas I guess. I am going to try it without using any, its a VERY VERY tight fit anyway.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you got it fixed. The newer models are glued in,I got them confused like the dealer you talked to! Lucky you have one that you can repair! OPT

Quick Reply: Need Help with Hawkeye