Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for recommendations

First - a little backstory:

I bought a Polaris 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI from the dealer at what must've been the end of the 2006 season, got a good deal on it, and brought it home.

I had had a jeep wrangler that I used to pull a trailer around the yard (2 acres) hauling logs from trees that I was trying to remove from the property. The wrangler was also my daily driver, and as the family grew bigger, I had replaced it with a Grand Cherokee. I didn't want the GC in the yard, so I purchased the Sportsman and trailer - knowing that the loads would have to be considerably lighter. That's ok - not travelling far.

I used the Sportsman a few times, rode it up and down the road a few times, and I think a total of twice took it into a swampy area near the house (less than a hlaf mile away). Never got it stuck in anything, never put any stress on the ATV in any way.

My idea was to also eventually get a winch and plow for it, but as the first winter came I never got around to it. Everything ran fine the next spring through fall, and then it was garaged again. No prep work was done to garage it, it just happened to sit still in the garage all winter.

Now we're into 2009 and the battery was dead. Jumping the ATV worked - and I only ran it a couple times, as we hired an excavation crew to come clear out all the trees, and that was my main purpose for buying it. Fast forward a couple months -

The fuel pump wouldn't prime. I found this forum and read about how easy it was to change the pump, and how expensive if the parts were bought as a whole tank from Polaris, so I vowed to replace it using the autozone parts (I think the pump is from a hyundai, not sure). Again - did'nt get around to it.

Fast forward again - Just this last weekend, I finally found the time, the weather and my wallet in agreement that I should get this done, and went and bought a pump. Looked identical to the one in the tank. I removed the old one, was surprised at how easily the entire tank came off, removed the tank, drained it from the old gas and gunk that was in the bottom (strainer was disintegrated), replaced the pump, fed the entire contraption back into the tank, replaced the tank, filled with gas and nothing. Wouldn't prime or start. Engine sounded like it wanted to and I could hear the compression at the exhaust, so removed everything again. Checked voltages, there was a nominal 9.5 all the time, 14 when it should be priming dropping back to 12 when the key was 'on'... checked wiring inside tank, checked connectors... turns out I had knocked one loose - put it all back together and after priming about 10 times, everything started right up.

Now - this is where I need advice --- After sitting for over a year, the battery is dead. I know I need to replace that. I also knocked a spade connector loose in the tank, and it is only a matter of time before it works itself loose. I will be replacing that. The tires look good, weren't flat, and there is no visual indication that there is anything wrong with it...except it's still missing most of the plastic body pieces 'cause I know I have to get into the tank again after I get some spade connectors. They are set off to the side in the garage.

What else should I do to this ATV? I plan on changing the oil, and the recommended maintenance calls for a bunch of stuff to be done, due to time - but I haven't even come close to breaking the engine in yet, 16 miles total on the machine. Should I go ahead and perform ALL the maintenance listed for a 2006 sportsman 500 efi that is listed on http://www.purepolarisoil.com/pdf/Ma...e_ATV_2011.pdf ? I can't believe that it will all need to be done, but don't want to miss anything that I should be doing to keep it from dying again.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Also - I have searched the forums - and can't find instructions on how / where to change the oil. I did find a kit that includes the filter and 2 quarts of polaris branded synthetic, but no where can I find an indication of where the second plug is to drain the engine. I can find the oil pan plug, where is the engine plug? If anyone can post pictures, I would also very much appreciate that.

Thirdly - I need to get some miles on this thing. Where would you suggest riding that is close enough to Northern VA that I can make a day trip or weekend camping excursion out of it? I really don't know anyone that rides here, but would like to. This ATV will be repurposed from hauling stumps and logs to my fun time machine. (and still get a winch and plow - hopefully by this winter)

Any recommendations on the above very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also - does anyone know where i can get a replacement fuel pressure regulator - this one is a little corroded.

Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

If it were mine and has sat as long as you say I'd replace all the fluids regardless whether it really needs it or not. It isn't difficult to do it your self plus you'll know everything is fresh. It is possible for condensation to build up in the oils from sitting for long periods of time. Secondly I'd have the battery load tested to be sure it's still good and also purchase a battery tender to keep it properly maintained and extend the life considerably.

While your in the process of doing maintenance apply dialectic grease to all electrical connections to prevent corrosion and problems down the road. When storing the bike it's always a good idea to use a fuel treatment like seafoam in the tank. I use it every other tank to keep things clean and running at optimum levels. Seafoam is great stuff! Just ask anyone here.

As for changing the engine oil. The 500 will have a plug in the oil tank resivoir and the other is located on the right side of the engine.(as your sitting on it) Look for a long slender opening in the underbody to find it. Your owners manual should explain it. Here's a couple links so you can get an idea. Polaris oil change.- Walkthru - ATV Nation YouTube - 2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO Oil Change

Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I honestly think some of the SeaFoam that my neighbor poured in last fall led to some of the corrosion of the fuel pump parts (? - the stem that the pump is on the bottom of).

I can't prove it, but the tank was mostly full of gas and he added the SeaFoam. Now I think I need to replace the regulator, but can't find the same one anywhere.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider

wasnt the seafoam that caused it,

Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Seafoam won't cause any corrosion. It will actually help prevent it. Just sitting to long not getting used led to most of your problems. I would always change fluids just due to that fact the they can build up moisture.

Grease everything you can see that has a zerk.

Another good recommendation for you if you are like me, and you seem to be, and you want to fix it yourself (cause its cheaper) then buy a repair manual. You can find them on ebay or amazon. Well worth the $30-50.