Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Deep Water no Revs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
JKW
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgirard420
Do you have a clutch kit? Just curious with the 27's in deep mud/water. Don't know/think it's related but it seems like a lot to ask from a 500. BTW I ride a 2010 500 HO with an epi kit.
Heel Clicker, bare weights, Epi purple or pink primary spring. It does work to turn the tires, it's no powerhouse, but it's fair even in high range. This only happens when I get the exhaust/silencer completly submerged.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM
JKW
Trailblazer
Default Could this be the problem?

I found some 1/8" clear plasic hose with a check valve deal on it. One end looks to go on the bottom of the carb just in front of the bowl, I don't see any place for the other end. The parts break downs call it a vent hose and check valve. The check valve won't hold vacuum in either direction, seems to be no good. If this is the bowl vent can it be relocated up higher, near the air intakes or up under the gauge pod.
One other thing, do any of the moving parts in the primary clutch need any kind of lubracation?
Thanks for the replies.
2002 Sportsman 500HO

Old 05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

Thats a float bowl overflow. Its very important that it seals to keep water/mud from going into the carb. I have a link to another forum that shows just how ugly things can get if that valve is shot. (not sure if you can post links to other orums here)So in other words you cant route it up any higher or it wont work. If you completely plug it off, i guess you can get some flooding in off-camber situations

Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JKW
I found some 1/8" clear plasic hose with a check valve deal on it. One end looks to go on the bottom of the carb just in front of the bowl, I don't see any place for the other end. The parts break downs call it a vent hose and check valve. The check valve won't hold vacuum in either direction, seems to be no good. If this is the bowl vent can it be relocated up higher, near the air intakes or up under the gauge pod.
One other thing, do any of the moving parts in the primary clutch need any kind of lubracation?
Thanks for the replies.
2002 Sportsman 500HO
01sportsman500 is correct, that is the float bowl drain with a one way check valve. This is where I drain my float bowl when storing for > 1 month (drains to just above the skid). I would consider replacing it as cheap insurance. It drains by gravity so you can't route it up too high.

Nothing in the primary that I know of needs lubrication, just a good cleaning. 3M scotchbrite with no residue brake cleaner to the sheaves and blow out the spider (outdoors) really well.

Sorry I missed the part about the "only when completely under." Is it worth snorkling the exhaust to be sure? I've had mine under but never bogs like you say. Scary as we all know they are near impossible to start if you stall with the pipe submerged. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 PM
JKW
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 01sportsmna500
Thats a float bowl overflow. Its very important that it seals to keep water/mud from going into the carb. I have a link to another forum that shows just how ugly things can get if that valve is shot. (not sure if you can post links to other orums here)So in other words you cant route it up any higher or it wont work. If you completely plug it off, i guess you can get some flooding in off-camber situations
Overflow, so I need a new check valve, put it back in the OE configuration. The check valve has to be open to let fuel out and closed to anything going in to the fuel bowl. I'm doubting this is my problem now. Thanks for everyones time. I'll let you know what happens next time we hit the problem bog hole.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JKW
Overflow, so I need a new check valve, put it back in the OE configuration. The check valve has to be open to let fuel out and closed to anything going in to the fuel bowl. I'm doubting this is my problem now. Thanks for everyones time. I'll let you know what happens next time we hit the problem bog hole.

Yup, theres actually a good vaccuum there if the check valve is screwed. I've seen pictures of float bowls full of mud believe it or not (even a ruined engine) Anyways probablly not your issue, but definetely worth the couple bucks for a new one.