Deep Water no Revs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
JKW
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep Water no Revs

Hello All
Muddy spring, lots of fun! Bogging down, motor won't pull in deep water, etc. There are several threads on this, I didn't see any fixes, 400's thru 800's Sportsmans. Most claim not to have this problem. Here's it is, I'm in a pretty deep watery mud hole, nealing on the seat, the front is foating up/water wheelie, this is fun! Then the engine starts to loose rpm, OH S#$T we're swamped, then it will rev up some and bogg down again until the exhaust is clear from the slop. It's never stalled but this is when you need the blessed mother of wheel speed! No water in the air box, vents are up where they should be. It performs fine any other time, another cylinder more CC's would be better but it goes ok for a 500 with 27" tires. I've been in auto repair for a LONG time, do a lot of driveability diagnosis, it seems like a restricted exhaust system or fuel flow issue, not electrical. I swapped the SuperTrapp back to the OE silencer/muffler, no differance. BTY, I felt no power loss, it's quieter and the mid and top end seem slighty better. None of the Kawasakis or Hondas I ride with do this.
2002 Sportsman 500

Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does it do it when your inthe water w/ out lifting the wheels? just wondering if when your doing the whelies if the float level inthe carb is set correctly causing either too much gas(flooding it out) or not enough causing a lean condtion? just a thought.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM
JKW
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by stendori
does it do it when your inthe water w/ out lifting the wheels? just wondering if when your doing the whelies if the float level inthe carb is set correctly causing either too much gas(flooding it out) or not enough causing a lean condtion? just a thought.
That is an interesting idea! That is a great thought. It is definitly leaning out. Not really sure how much it settled down or the angle it was at. It's climbed so pretty steep hills without any problem. I will check that out. Thank You.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

could it be water shortin out cdi box??

Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
JKW
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bigcam400
could it be water shortin out cdi box??
To be honest, I don't know where the cdi box is located? Never looked for it. I doubt this is an electrical issue, as soon as I gimp it to shallower muddy water the problem is gone. Wet electronics usually take awhile to dry out. There is no backfiring or miss firing. The more throttle you give it the more it lays down. Thanks for taking the time.
Last nite I went back on my property, the deepest place is up to the bottom of the muffler. So the little tail pipe deal was a couple inches under, no problem with that, it will even idle. Thinking about Stendori's idea, next time we play in this particular hole, I'm going to crank the Dial-a-jet full rich and then lean. See what happens, if I have time I'll check the float level before.
My buddies 650 Brute Force just tears through this hole! It pisses me off!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JKW
To be honest, I don't know where the cdi box is located? Never looked for it. I doubt this is an electrical issue, as soon as I gimp it to shallower muddy water the problem is gone. Wet electronics usually take awhile to dry out. There is no backfiring or miss firing. The more throttle you give it the more it lays down. Thanks for taking the time.
Last nite I went back on my property, the deepest place is up to the bottom of the muffler. So the little tail pipe deal was a couple inches under, no problem with that, it will even idle. Thinking about Stendori's idea, next time we play in this particular hole, I'm going to crank the Dial-a-jet full rich and then lean. See what happens, if I have time I'll check the float level before.
My buddies 650 Brute Force just tears through this hole! It pisses me off!
Dial-a jet still offered huh? I had one on my 1977 Yamaha RD 400 years ago! Never could get it set right for all conditions,but could have been just the 2-stroke! I don't normally chime in on these type posts(NOT my area) but couldn't resist on the Dial-a jet. Turn it up and see if helps. OPT

Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
JKW
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Dial-a jet still offered huh? I had one on my 1977 Yamaha RD 400 years ago! Never could get it set right for all conditions,but could have been just the 2-stroke! I don't normally chime in on these type posts(NOT my area) but couldn't resist on the Dial-a jet. Turn it up and see if helps. OPT
I just checked Dial-a-jet is still available. Had no problems with it in the 5+ years it's been on my atv. On the other hand, I can't say "Holy s%#T that dial-a-jet made a huge differance." Several times I've taken the air box stuff off, opened the throttle, blew in gently with the air gun to see if it really did anything. Never any indications of overly rich conditions, plug looked good, exhaust pipe never black, no black smoke. Who knows, maybe there's not enough air flow to pull any fuel?? I think the biggest seat of the pants change was, take off the SuperTrapp off and put the OE muffler back on!
No replacement for displacement.
Thought you might get a chuckle!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JKW
I just checked Dial-a-jet is still available. Had no problems with it in the 5+ years it's been on my atv. On the other hand, I can't say "Holy s%#T that dial-a-jet made a huge differance." Several times I've taken the air box stuff off, opened the throttle, blew in gently with the air gun to see if it really did anything. Never any indications of overly rich conditions, plug looked good, exhaust pipe never black, no black smoke. Who knows, maybe there's not enough air flow to pull any fuel?? I think the biggest seat of the pants change was, take off the SuperTrapp off and put the OE muffler back on!
No replacement for displacement.
Thought you might get a chuckle!
YEA,I chuckled a little bit,THEN wanted to cry! Wanted the RD400 back,without the Dial-a-jet! Along with my 68 RS/SS Camaro that I bought new off the show room floor when I was 19, Plus when I got tired of it,got a 71 Plymouth GTX Plum Crazy,440 white top and white bucket seats! kept about 2 years! My son still doesn't forgive me,BUT back then they were JUST CARS and gas was about 30-32 cents a gallon! OPT

Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
YEA,I chuckled a little bit,THEN wanted to cry! Wanted the RD400 back,without the Dial-a-jet! Along with my 68 RS/SS Camaro that I bought new off the show room floor when I was 19, Plus when I got tired of it,got a 71 Plymouth GTX Plum Crazy,440 white top and white bucket seats! kept about 2 years! My son still doesn't forgive me,BUT back then they were JUST CARS and gas was about 30-32 cents a gallon! OPT
no doubt!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JKW
Hello All
Muddy spring, lots of fun! Bogging down, motor won't pull in deep water, etc. There are several threads on this, I didn't see any fixes, 400's thru 800's Sportsmans. Most claim not to have this problem. Here's it is, I'm in a pretty deep watery mud hole, nealing on the seat, the front is foating up/water wheelie, this is fun! Then the engine starts to loose rpm, OH S#$T we're swamped, then it will rev up some and bogg down again until the exhaust is clear from the slop. It's never stalled but this is when you need the blessed mother of wheel speed! No water in the air box, vents are up where they should be. It performs fine any other time, another cylinder more CC's would be better but it goes ok for a 500 with 27" tires. I've been in auto repair for a LONG time, do a lot of driveability diagnosis, it seems like a restricted exhaust system or fuel flow issue, not electrical. I swapped the SuperTrapp back to the OE silencer/muffler, no differance. BTY, I felt no power loss, it's quieter and the mid and top end seem slighty better. None of the Kawasakis or Hondas I ride with do this.
2002 Sportsman 500
Do you have a clutch kit? Just curious with the 27's in deep mud/water. Don't know/think it's related but it seems like a lot to ask from a 500. BTW I ride a 2010 500 HO with an epi kit.

Quick Reply: Deep Water no Revs