Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hill climbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hill climbs?

want to hear from everyone that has 4wd and also hi/low range.

when you climb a hill do you always use 4wd? do you use hi/low range?

I mean the hill that tests your limits both the quad and riding ability. Do you think being in 4wd gives you an edge when you get close to the top and need those front wheels digging?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Steep hills I put it in 4wd Low and lay on the handlebars going up, sit as far back as I can on the way down. It helps having a 2-up machine with the longer wheelbase. Less like to start tipping straight back.

Long gradual hills, if in snow, High 4wd. If on hard pack, High 2wd. Sand is open it up and go as fast as you can to keep momentum. Even in 4wd it's not easy going up a soft sand hill. Momentum is your friend in soft sand.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

i just use 2wd high going up most hills till i loss tracktion then ill kick it into four wheel but im leaning over handle bars i also find climbing sand hills i keep it 2 wheel high and just hammer it i find if i get the front tires up a bit i get better traction but there times four wheel is needs on the river banks

Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by redbank
want to hear from everyone that has 4wd and also hi/low range.

when you climb a hill do you always use 4wd? do you use hi/low range?

I mean the hill that tests your limits both the quad and riding ability. Do you think being in 4wd gives you an edge when you get close to the top and need those front wheels digging?
When in doubt, kick her in 4 wheel drive and hold her wide open. You can always let off as needed, but it's harder to gain momentum once it is lost. Momentum will get you places traction will not. Guess this is the experience I have from Scramblers and 5oo Quadzilla's. It works with and quad. Just remember, If you don't make a hill and you feel it will flip, BAIL OFF ! The quad can be repaired........

Old 04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

ok here is why I asked.

I climbed a coal hill (very loose) and used 4wd low range to climb, when reaching the top I had some hopping by the front end diggin in trying to find traction.

A friend climbed the same hill in 2wd high even though he had available 4wd and low. It wasn't the same quad it actually had a high cc than mine but he was a lot smother at the top of the hill than me.

My thinking is low range I shouldn't run out of power but it does limit me at the bottom so I couldn't reach a higher speed at the bottom, I would rather know I have enough power to get over the top then to have that feeling of shutting it down on the hill.

But after watching my buddy climb in 2wd high had me thinking otherwise. I shouldn't have to worry about flipping with all the extra weight plus I do have an x2 so my wheelbase is longer.

here is a video of me climbing the hill

Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You did fine from what I can see. The only difference is that I would get up on the passenger footwells and put my body on the handlebars. Best way to keep the front end down.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

For me it's a judgment call. If it's muddy, snowy or wet I'll use the 4wd. In dry conditions most times 2wd will do. On a long run like in your video I would have made the attempt in high range 4wd with the throttle pinned. With enough speed, momentum can carry you a long way. With no room to get up speed I use low range.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by redbank
ok here is why I asked.

I climbed a coal hill (very loose) and used 4wd low range to climb, when reaching the top I had some hopping by the front end diggin in trying to find traction.

A friend climbed the same hill in 2wd high even though he had available 4wd and low. It wasn't the same quad it actually had a high cc than mine but he was a lot smother at the top of the hill than me.

My thinking is low range I shouldn't run out of power but it does limit me at the bottom so I couldn't reach a higher speed at the bottom, I would rather know I have enough power to get over the top then to have that feeling of shutting it down on the hill.

But after watching my buddy climb in 2wd high had me thinking otherwise. I shouldn't have to worry about flipping with all the extra weight plus I do have an x2 so my wheelbase is longer.

here is a video of me climbing the hill
For me, low range is for farm use or just crawling over something. All quads seem to have adequate power for climbing in high range. For me, low range is just not enough wheel speed for climbing. I like to hit hills fast at the bottom and ease off closer to the top. I also climb a hill I am unsure about the first time in 4 wheel and see how it climbs. Then I can judge if it was needed or not. Better to use it and not need it than to need it and not use it.......

Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost always use 4 high to climb hills. I like to get up a lot of speed first.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I use a winch ! lol

Attached Thumbnails hill climbs?-kootney-trips-047.jpg  

Quick Reply: hill climbs?