Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

park lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default park lock?

Just curious, when I put my 2011 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP in park and remove the key, shouldn't the transmission lock into park? On mine, I can remove the key and shift it into any gear I want.

I am thinking that when I first got it, it would lock, but after I installed the winch is when I first noticed that it would not lock. I did have to open the headlight pod to install the wires. Did I miss something when I put it back together?

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

unless they have changed they don't lock into park w/ the key out. you can freely move in and out of park at any time.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, Thank you. I had only had it for a week when I installed the winch, so I probably just never noticed. I feel better knowing that I didn't break anything on it.

I wonder if there is anyway to hook up something so that it will lock?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i would very much doubt it as like in a car w/ a steering wheel i beleave there is maybe a rod in the colum that makes it lock(not sure how on newer cars) but in your handle bars there is no way of connecting the key w/ the tranny if you understand what i'm trying to say lol.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of an electric solenoid to lock the linkage in place.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

might be good idea to help prevent theft.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

I'd like to see them do something like that for the wheelers and sxs's. Way too many being stolen. Read on another forum how a guy had a brand new RZR 900XP with 6" lift, tires, stereo, etc was stolen right off his trailer at night at an atv park. For the amount of $ these things cost they should have some security to lock them in park. Can-Am has the chipped keys but that still doesn't stop a thief from putting it in neutral and rolling it away.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by switzomatic
but that still doesn't stop a thief from putting it in neutral and rolling it away.
I use a small master lock inside of the hole in a the rear disk brake, it could probably be cut, but got luck getting the bolt cutters in there since I can barely fit my hand! This way no one can just roll it away. If anyone develops a solenoid to lock it in park, I'll buy it!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a concept after looking at my trailblazer today. except I don't have a park on mine I've never even seen a shift mechanism on another polaris with a park. I would have to think it would be model specific though. I'll take a picture of my linkage at the transmission tomorrow and post it to see what kind of difference there is, and if someone could post a similar pic of one with park afterwards so I can compare them. If I can build something for one vehicle I would be able to make the mounting adjustable to work on other models as well, I just need to see exactly what I would be working with.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a concept after looking at my trailblazer today. except I don't have a park on mine I've never even seen a shift mechanism on another polaris with a park. I would have to think it would be model specific though. I'll take a picture of my linkage at the transmission tomorrow and post it to see what kind of difference there is, and if someone could post a similar pic of one with park afterwards so I can compare them. If I can build something for one vehicle I would be able to make the mounting adjustable to work on other models as well, I would just need to see exactly what I would be working with.

Quick Reply: park lock?