Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trip insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran through progessive's insurance calculator and ir told me for one year of 10,000/25,000 coverage with a $500 deductable, it was only $78 a year. Granted I didn't add medical coverage, but for standard "cover me no matter what" insurance, I don't see how they could charge you that a month..... maybe with you asking about a weekly policy they might think you could end up being a liability, but even still... I have a motorcycle also, but I can't see it being 12 times as much or even 6 times what it would cost me to what they would charge you for basically the same coverage.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Range Rover

I pay $14 a month for full coverage from nationwide

Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Whatever the rates are in your area, it's crazy not to insure these expensive toys.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Whatever the rates are in your area, it's crazy not to insure these expensive toys."

Very true, but in my case, the insurance would be more than the payments are on it. I only pay $75 a month for it. Insurance would be over $100.

I would rather just buy a second one than pay that.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

it won't help with hauling it there or falling off a cliff, but if you're that worried about somebody stealing it at night get a 3/8" logging chain and a big *** lock and lock your wheeler to the frame of your truck. Just make sure you run the chain thru a part of your wheelers frame. But all in all call them or somebody else and see if you can find it any cheaper, because that price seems extremely high for an atv..... just my

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmuddin284
it won't help with hauling it there or falling off a cliff, but if you're that worried about somebody stealing it at night get a 3/8" logging chain and a big *** lock and lock your wheeler to the frame of your truck. Just make sure you run the chain thru a part of your wheelers frame. But all in all call them or somebody else and see if you can find it any cheaper, because that price seems extremely high for an atv..... just my
I used a 5/16" and then a 3/8" log chain and they cut both chains and the lock. (Three different thefts.) Now I have closer to a 3/4" chain and lock, plus two wheel locks and so far they haven't stolen it in 2+ years. Before this they got five ATVs from me in 3 years and I still only pay 100 something $ for insurance.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

wow.... it's a sumbitch to cut 3/8" chain, but either way he could get the insurance and pay for a months worth while he's gone for the week and it would cover it. I wouldn't necessarily do that myself, but it would be cheaper to pay whatever over $100 for one month than buy a new bike. unless they want like 3 or 4 grand for one month you'll come out cheaper if something happens to your wheeler while you're gone for a week. When you get back look for something less expensive if you make trips like this often enough. I just don't know how yours is so expensive through progressive with what I've seen and what everyone else has said, It just flat out doesn't make sense.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bcdudley
"Whatever the rates are in your area, it's crazy not to insure these expensive toys."

Very true, but in my case, the insurance would be more than the payments are on it. I only pay $75 a month for it. Insurance would be over $100.

I would rather just buy a second one than pay that.
A $75 a month payment is like a 12-15 year loan, assuming no down payment. Length of loan, credit rating, how much stuff you have on credit and past traffic violations will all play a part in rates. There's always a reason for rates being higher than others...one or more of the above being seen in a negative light will screw a guy when it comes to insurance. Does Texas not require full coverage on your atv/loan?

Wenty

Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

I'd up the loan payments and pay that thing off , dam I spend $75 a week on atv gas . Always best to pay cash .

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only $75 for 3 years. I put over half down and I have decent credit. I checked into just getting it for a month, but nobody would do that. Texas does not require insurance. I have good credit so I don't think that is the problem. I pay less than $100 a month to insure my truck with full coverage.

Quick Reply: Trip insurance