Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trip insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip insurance

I am looking for some type of short term insurance. We are going to Wolfpen Gap next week and I would like something that will provide full coverage for everything from trailering to falling off a cliff or driving into the blue hole or something else stupid. I am mainly concerned with not being able to lock it up securely at night while I am sleeping and having it get stolen.

Does anyone offer this type of week long insurance for a reasonable rate?

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with progressive. With a MC license I get full coverage plus up to $4000 in accessory's for $75 a year on my 07 sp500. At that price I can't justify not paying for it. A buddy of mine rolled his 08 sp800 on two separate occasions with substantial damage, the second time was a total loss but they took care of it with no questions asked. Never heard of insurance for just a week or two.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I checked with Progressive. They wanted $78 per month for mine. Polarastar or whatever Polaris has wanted $42 per month. Both of them only offer 12 month policies.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by bcdudley
I checked with Progressive. They wanted $78 per month for mine. Polarastar or whatever Polaris has wanted $42 per month. Both of them only offer 12 month policies.
What!!! Where are you from that would justify those kind of prices? I know with me having a MC and CDL license at age 35 with a flawless record probably helps my rates but those prices sound insane. It's been a while but I remember a post on here regarding insurance costs and don't ever recall anyone saying more than maybe $300-$400 full coverage a year which still seems high to me.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everone else with progressive is getting full coverage for about $100 a year. There's a new thread about it. I think it's in "buying an atv".

Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

That would be more in line with what I wanted to pay. I am 35 with a mc license and no incidents or tickets in the last 5 years or more. My credit score while not great, is not bad, upper 600's. I cannot figure out why they are charging me so much but all 4 places I have called today gave me similar pricing.

They did offer me liability only insurance for around $80 per year, but that is not what I need. With comp and collision and even a $2000 deductible, the cheapest I could find was $540 per year.

Here are some of the quotes I am getting. Please tell me what I am doing wrong to get these numbers.

Geico

Name:  GeicoQuote-2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  79.6 KB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progressive

Name:  progressivequote.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  77.8 KB

Markel

Name:  MarkelQuote.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  41.2 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Here is what my insurance company, USAA, said about coverage:

Dear Mr. Dudley,

Thank you for your reply.

To add this vehicle to your current policy, at liability only, would increase your premium by $325.29 per six-months.

When adding physical damage coverage, (comprehensive and collision), you have options. Please understand that comprehensive must be carried if collision is carried. Comprehensive coverage provides coverage for damage not caused by collisions. This includes theft, fire, flood, and hail damage as examples. You have a choice in deductibles, which affects premium.

To have liability and comprehensive with a $500 deductible (matching your truck's coverage), the six-month increase would be $355.62.

To have liability, comprehensive, and collision with a $500 deductible, the six-month increase would be $533.81. The same coverage with a $1,000 deductible would be a $487.78 six-month increase.

If you need comprehensive coverage, but will not be driving the ATV, you can reduce your premium up to 80% by adding a Vehicle Storage Discount. [bold]To qualify, your vehicle must not be driven for an extended period of time [/bold]and you must agree to the following conditions:

The vehicle will not be driven while in storage.
The vehicle will be stored in a secure location (e.g. your driveway or garage, military storage facility).
You will contact us to remove the Storage Discount before driving the vehicle.

Obviously, this is meant for off-season storage. If your vehicle is driven before contacting us to remove the Storage Discount, coverage will be reduced as follows:

Bodily injury and property damage will be provided at the state minimum limits regardless of the limit previously carried.
Comprehensive and collision coverage will be eliminated unless a lien holder is listed on your policy. If a lien holder is listed, your policy will provide the lesser of the cost to repair/replace, actual cash value, or your loan amount at the time of loss.

If you qualify for this discount, your revised premium of adding the ATV with liability and comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible would be a six-month increase of $74.45.

Thank you,
USAA
Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

Wow I need to become an insurance agent in TX. Check with an independant insurance agent they might have a few companies that you don't know about. $100 is the norm here in Pa. I have a client age is mid 20's with 2 speeding tickets, comp/coll coverage with liability insurance for his new 2011 rzr is $250 a year.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

WOW, rates in TX are really high. Here in MN I carry 100/300/100 liability limits and $250 Comp deductible and $500 Collision deductible for $117.30 a year. Mine is an 2003 600, but a new 850 would be $286.50 a year and that also includes an endorsement that covers all accessories with no limit. Winter sucks but the insurance is lower...LOL

Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Does anyone else in TX have insurance? If so, are your rates similar, or am I just getting some bad numbers?

Since the main thing I am worried about is fire and theft, I wonder if I could get USAA and just apply the storage discount. I know that would not help me if I go on a trip and it is stolen, but it would help in the garage.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Trip insurance