Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Springs and weights

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Springs and weights

I have a 98 sportsman 500 with some spidertrac tires. Not overly large but a pretty good chunk of rubber. It is a little sluggish and I would like to add some low end grunt to it. Can't really afford to put a 250.00 clutch kit in it any ideas on a spring and weights that could be changed to help. Thanks TonyT

Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

tonythom,

Weights are fairly pricey, which seems to go against the goal of your posting. The least expensive mod I can think of would be to use an EPI Purple Secondary Spring and change the positioning on the Primary and Secondary clutch springs. The settings are progressive, the farther you move down the list, the more "aggressive" it gets.....

Helix Clutch
2 1 Soft
2 2 Stock
1 1
1 2
1 3
2 3 Most aggressive

The difference will be on a much smaller scale than installing a full clutch kit, but hey, it's a very cheap upgrade that might help you compensate enough for the tires. Here's a link to the spring, we also have full clutch kits if you decide to go that route: EPI SECONDARY (DRIVEN) CLUTCH SPRINGS from Mainstreet Motorsports purple spring

Hope this helps !

Old 05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

That did not post as it was previewed, there are supposed to be two columns of numbers. First relates to the Secondary, second column lists the primary settings (or drive clutch if you prefer). PM me if you need clarification.

Good luck !

Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

So we are talking abouit changing the spring on the driven clutch? I thought the drive clutch was the one that was always changed. Should that spring be left alone? Thanks TonyT

Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

Bright green on front, sorry, thought that was in there . Due to the age of the machine, I'm sure the springs are not what they used to be. So IMO, it makes sense to go this route over weights for more reasons than just cost. This setup will cause it to engage at slightly higher r's and grip the belt really good. Running these springs set at 2 on the secondary and a 3 on the primary should do very well. But yes, it's definately the combination of the two springs, I personally would not do one without the other.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

there are no 'settings on the primary, the only settings are the holes for the spring tension on the secondary, helix and clutch sheav, if you put a polaris white spring in the primary there will be alittle more bottom, a green will make a bigger difference, everything you gain on the bottom you will lose on top.5to 7 mph with green spring

Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for catching that Kerbbirds. I am far less familiar with the install than the outcome.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

it seems to me from the VERY little I understand about clutch springs is that the primary (drive) clutch affects the engauement rpms and the secondary (driven) clutch affects the amount of torque and backshift (better grab upon hitting the gas). so basically, if you want more tire churning power it's the secondary (driven) if you want more haulass off the line, then go for a higher engaugement primary (driven) spring.