Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 xplorer boggin out in deep water??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 xplorer boggin out in deep water??

havein trouble with my 2 smoke boggin out in water bout fender deep,..tryed wide open an tryed feathering throttle takin it easy,..some times itll keep an chuggin,..sumtimes its rope 30...ugggghhhhh!!!! drag it up on the bank an let water drain outta stock muffler,..an back to pond jumping in moments???

Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Could be water shorting out spark plug,or you need to snorkel atv?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Could be water shorting out spark plug,or you need to snorkel atv?
is there some kind of gasket where exhaust joins together an held by them springs?? an could it be getting water in exhaust at these joints?? an you mean snorkel the exhaust right?? was gonna check plug tomorrow as its not running right an popping an sputtering some now too,..maybe water shorting plug or wire,..or ignition system??? or is it possible water flooded exhaust to the point plug got wet an fouled out maybe???

Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bigcam400
is there some kind of gasket where exhaust joins together an held by them springs?? an could it be getting water in exhaust at these joints?? an you mean snorkel the exhaust right?? was gonna check plug tomorrow as its not running right an popping an sputtering some now too,..maybe water shorting plug or wire,..or ignition system??? or is it possible water flooded exhaust to the point plug got wet an fouled out maybe???
Yes on the explorer 400 there is a slip on asbestos type gasket at the bend of head pipe,could be worn,allowing water in(usually loud if worn) yes snorkel the exhaust if going under water,plus still could be plug grounding out because of water OR all of the above! Might try electrical grease on plug and cap,plus all connections that are exposed to water. Lot of the mud doggers go to extremes to water proof their machines!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes on the explorer 400 there is a slip on asbestos type gasket at the bend of head pipe,could be worn,allowing water in(usually loud if worn) yes snorkel the exhaust if going under water,plus still could be plug grounding out because of water OR all of the above! Might try electrical grease on plug and cap,plus all connections that are exposed to water. Lot of the mud doggers go to extremes to water proof their machines!
im a learning,..2nd summer on 4 wheelers,..an loveing it!!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

correct me if i am wrong but isn't the asbestos type donut only on the scrambler and trailblazer. my 96 sportsman and 95 xplorer have a steel on steel seal. They can get worn, but exhaust will leak. look for wet oil spots. but not all that likely to let water in with engine running. probably sucking water, the airbox drain may seep water from the bottom up, given enough time in the water.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke
correct me if i am wrong but isn't the asbestos type donut only on the scrambler and trailblazer. my 96 sportsman and 95 xplorer have a steel on steel seal. They can get worn, but exhaust will leak. look for wet oil spots. but not all that likely to let water in with engine running. probably sucking water, the airbox drain may seep water from the bottom up, given enough time in the water.
mines a 95,..i do notice a puff of smoke from front of motor every now n then,...but air box has remained dry,....always water draining from muffler when we drag it out....put front end up bank so water will run out,..wait a minute or so,..fire it up,...an push's lil more water out,...i go threw deeper water,..but this is longest deep water hole it keeps boggin out in....wanta get this worked out before i mess something up big time...

Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke
Correct,I was thinking of the Scrambler instead of the Explorer. OPT

Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

ok,..i pulled the plug,..an no spark,..put new plug on it an plenty of spark!! put plug in an ran great,..took a few laps round 5 acer field,..an parked it,..later this evening fired it up to pul inside shop an it went to running crazy,..throttle gaining slop,..an loseing it,...this loss space in throttle is very irratic to the motor,..reving high an back real sincative,...an if you rev it up any at all itll back fire real loud when it gets back close to idel,..an reverse light dimely lite up an flickers some??? an its smoking real bad!! wounder if oil pump started working again???bout at my wits end with this thang!!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bigcam400
ok,..i pulled the plug,..an no spark,..put new plug on it an plenty of spark!! put plug in an ran great,..took a few laps round 5 acer field,..an parked it,..later this evening fired it up to pul inside shop an it went to running crazy,..throttle gaining slop,..an loseing it,...this loss space in throttle is very irratic to the motor,..reving high an back real sincative,...an if you rev it up any at all itll back fire real loud when it gets back close to idel,..an reverse light dimely lite up an flickers some??? an its smoking real bad!! wounder if oil pump started working again???bout at my wits end with this thang!!
Check carb slide for sticking open,slide may have trash,dirt or inside carb body dirty! Had this happen before. Will cause excessive slack in throttle lever,PLUS has a split cable to oil pump,could be problem there?? Cable could have jumped off at pump? Plus if you find the problem and fix, adjust throttle cable to where there is about 1/8" slack at throttle OPT

Quick Reply: 400 xplorer boggin out in deep water??